cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aruparel Member

Re: Memory leaks in Power BI custom visuals

Hi Ignat,

Thanks for the update. You made my day !!!

Regards,

Ashish

aruparel Member

Hi Ignat,

The custom visuals that I am using are not developed by me / my company.

Once the new API is released what should be the action from my side, to ensure that the memory leak does not happen? How will I know that the updated API is released ? Should the custom visual developer rebuild their visuals and release it to office store, to make use of the new API to resolve the memory leak issue?

Regards,

Ashish

Moderator v-viig

Hello Ashish,

As far as I know, memory leak has been fixed for all of existiongs APIs.

Are still able to reproduce this issue?

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

aruparel Member

Hi Ignat,

I just tried to view an existing report from powerbi.com using Chrome as browser and I am still facing memory leak issue. When I keep on switching between 2 tabs, the memory consumption on my laptop keeps on growing till such time that the usage hits more than 88% and then the power bi report stops responding. Smiley Sad

What I understand is that I do not have any action on my side after the API is released. The fix would start working seamlessly.

Regards,

Ashish

marcorusso Member

It's already Tuesday, it should be today or tomorrow! Smiley Happy

marcorusso Member

I have bad news.

I just installed Power BI Desktop Version: 2.51.4885.543 64-bit (October 2017)

The memory leak issue is still there.

Marco Russo - SQLBI

aruparel Member

Hi Ignat,

Any updates on this ?

Unfortunately the issue seems to still exist. I am still facing the memory leak issue for the reports.

Regards,

Ashish

Moderator v-viig

Hello everyone,

I'm really sorry to hear that.

I'll contact Power BI Custom Visuals API team to get more details.

Ignat Vilesov,

Software Engineer

Microsoft Power BI Custom Visuals

pbicvsupport@microsoft.com

aruparel Member

Hi Ignat,

Any updates on this ?

Regards,

Ashish

hgmogular Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi everybody,

We are facing the same problem. We use @marcorusso's custom visuals (thanks for the good work marco!) - but unfortunately the dashboard is getting slower and slower each time we switch pages - I observed CEFSharp.BrowserSubprocess and saw that the memory comsumption is growing and growing - after 2GB it is slow in such a way you cannot work with it - and a minute later PowerBI crashes with an unknown error.

After searching in google I found this discussion and updated to October Version. But as Marco said: The problem is still there. Seems like it is a bit better (any kind of garbage collection is working), but still there is a steady growth of memory coinsumption.

I first thought the problem are the custom visuals. I used "Card with states by OKViz". I changed all Visuals to "default" cards. The memory cosumptiom was much lower when switching pages - but there is an increase as well. Every Page switch let the consumption grow between 4 and 10MB. So I think it is a more general problem - not only with custom visuals. You won't notice it that much, because the growth is not that high...

I have the same problem as aruparel (and a lot of others I think): We have a kind of Proof of Concept with a customer who wants to user PBI for all his stores. But he is very disappointed about the current performance...

@v-viig: can you please give heads up about the topic...? I as well can share my testfiles (using the america flight database, because I cannot give away customer data)

Thanks!!