Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MPiera

Creating subtotals in Waterfall chart

Hi, I am trying to create a waterfall chart in PowerBI that looks something like this:

MPiera_0-1686921175753.png

However, I do not know how to assign specific categories within my dataset to act as "totals" or subtotals".

I would appreciate someones advice on how to set-up my dataset and visual in Excel and powerBI, respectivelly.

Thank you very much in advance,

Kind regards.

1 REPLY 1
yasmeenwilde
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello, I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution? On Power BI, I only see Decrease, Increase and Total by default. There is no setting a category as a subtotal like in Excel. A nondynamic alternative workaround I used is to use Textbox with "Subtotal" label on the category bar to label the bar as a subcategory. Another alternative is to include Subtotal as part of the x-axis label category. 

I also saw another post to import a custom waterfall visual from marketplace but I prefer to use Power BI visual on our desktop due to data privacy requirements. I've submitted an idea for subtotal waterfall, please vote! 

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Custom-Visuals-Ideas/Subtotal-on-Waterfall-visual/idi-p/33...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors