Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Raghda_Alshehhi
Frequent Visitor

Compare same month with last year's month

Hi,

Can anyone please, help me with my visualization? some of my coullegues have said that its confusing to understand the graph percentage change? i don't know where to apply the conditional formatting here. 

Is there any sugeestion to make it more readble and better looking? Specially if i want to highlight the +/- changges?

Also, what if i try to show the total per month within same month 

the problem i have growing data, and it gets very crowded when i try to do that? 

this is the dax i used to create the month% change: 

YOY % =
VAR PY =
    CALCULATE(SS[Total MVT],DATEADD('SS'[Date].[Date],-1,YEAR))
RETURN
    DIVIDE(('SS'[Total MVT]-PY),PY)

I\ve attached a sample pic, since I can not upload any file, and i cannot share the data to Dropbox becasue of work restrictionsw. 

Untitled.png
11 REPLIES 11
Raghda_Alshehhi
Frequent Visitor

Thank you again for your help.

One last thing,  When i created a coloumn chart, when the percentage is very low, the value is not apprering in the vistuialization. I tried to resize it, but did not know how to show all the values in the graph e.g Apr 2022. How i can make sure all my figures apprears even for small totals,margins e.g, 00.76%

Also, for the conditional formating of the table, what if i simply want to show up/down positive/negetive arrow only (red,green)? means when it has (negitive sign) it means red a drop,, when it's not negetive it means green (I'm comparing same month over the years) 

You have a couple of options. You can create a "Month over Month To Date" measure that compares same time intervals. Another option is to use 100% stacking.

You can choose to show only the icons and hide the values.

What i mean for the stacked colomn chart, not values are showing becuase for example April 2022 value is 43.07% (please refer to the sampe PBX) is there any way to make sure i have all the numbers appreasing like resizing the bar chart or sth? 

Also, i'm stuck with +/- formatting, how can i show any number with negetive sign as red, and anything else green? 

Sorry for the inconvinience, im very new to Power BI

There is a "100% Stacked Column" visual - you can try that.

Do you have a general idea of what your expected result should look like? Can you show a mockup?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Keep experimenting with different visuals.  Oftentimes for YoY comparisons a table or matrix visual with icons (up/down/sideways arrow for example) is more appropriate.

Can we add icons arrows for this kind of visuals? If yes I will appreciate if you can explain it to me? 
where I can find arrows and present this in more appropriate way?

Here is an example 

lbendlin_0-1662732600513.png

If you like more help please provide sample data.

I've placed the PBX file in drop box as i can not yet upload any file directly

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1khilumf0p90mec/SAMPLE.pbix?dl=0

Here would be an example of the conditional formatting with icons

lbendlin_0-1662817734917.pnglbendlin_1-1662817773122.png

Adjust as needed. see attached.

Thank you very much for your response!!

much appreciated. 
may I ask one last thing, will the up/down arrow will show if i converted this to bar or visual graph ?

The availability of icons for conditional formatting varies between visuals.  It may not be available for the standard Column chart (bar chars are horizontal) but there might be custom visuals that allow that.

Instead of the icons you can also use column color ( for example)  for the visual indication of the trend.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.