Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jhorbury
Regular Visitor

Refreshing dashboard in browser which uses direct query

I have set up a dashboard which uses directquery to connect to a SQL database. The databases is updated every few minutes.

When I publish and view the dashboard, it shows updated data everytime I refresh the browser, or click "refresh" in the toolbar, as I'd expect. However, what I would like to do is trigger this refresh automatically (say, once every minute) so that a user does not have to intereact with it in order to see up-to-date data.

I can use third-party tools like browser refresh extensions, and presumably I could also present the dashboard within an iframe and trigger the refresh using JS in some way - but my quesiton is, is there a way of natively forcing the dashboard to re-load/refresgin using existing options witin PBI?

Thanks for any assistance.

2 REPLIES 2
Sokon
Advocate V
Advocate V

I agree that this is an important feature. There's this post in the documentation that states for direct and live connections 'Because there is a direct connection between Power BI and the database, there is no need to schedule refresh'. While that's true for a refresh of the dataset, it is NOT true for data shown on screen. There's a 'refresh' button in the report's menu bar for a reason! We need to schedule that refresh.

By this, it would easily be possible to update reports with changing data during the day in an near-real-time manne, without having the necessity to learn how to use Real Time Data in PBI.

If you have the same problem, I suggest voting for this idea!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone found a decent solution to this ? I have been using a 3rd party add-in to rfresh the page but would like something to simulate the refresh button press.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.