Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

davidismaeloch
Frequent Visitor

Query regarding 'Detect data changes' option for Incremental Refresh

Hi everyone!
I have multiple dataflows in Premium capacity because we are looking to reduce the refresh time as much as possible, I turned on the Incremental refresh for most of the tables and I included the option of "Detect data changes"....
After setting the incremental refresh, the refresh history has been showing the same time they took prior to the incremental refresh or in some cases even more time 😞
Is it really worthy the incremental refresh with detect data changes option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OData and OData Feed generally do support query folding: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/power-query-folding#sources-that-support-folding

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello - have you ensured that query folding did not break due to one of your applied steps in Power Query? With Detect data changes, if you have it set to incrementally refresh the last two weeks of data it will only actually refresh anything new and anything in the last two weeks that has changed instead of the entire two weeks. 

Hi @audreygerred 
how can I tell if one of the applied steps is causing this query folding to break?
thank you a lot!

Right click on the step in Applied Steps and see is View native query is greyed out on any of them.

I think they changed the naming of 'View native query', is it the same as 'View data source query'?

davidismaeloch_0-1707324937118.png

Yup! That's it! 

Here are some additional resources regarding query folding: 

http://powerbiwithme.com/2023/09/21/the-query-folding-edition/ 

Query folding - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Incremental refresh & query folding | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

If even the source step is not query-folding compatible, does that mean that the source (Odata) for this project doesn't allow query folding and it is better for this case to turn off the incremental refresh? 

davidismaeloch_0-1707328596709.png

Thank you a lot for your answers

OData and OData Feed generally do support query folding: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/power-query-folding#sources-that-support-folding

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors