Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rbrandsbi
Frequent Visitor

One semantic model is better/worse than N semantic models?

Hey guys,

I have a client who has like 15 reports - comercial, HR, Delivery, etc...

All 15 reports have the same semantic model. This semantic model has all tables, relationships and measures.

So, what is the best way - 1 semantic model per report ou 1 semantic model to all the reports I have?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tazzbh

Hey!

I'd say go for one semantic model for all the reports. It keeps things tidy and you won't be duplicating stuff., once change in one place affect all reports. But watch out, if something goes wrong in the shared model, it messes up all the reports at once. And if your client's planning to scale up, one model for all reports might not be the best option. Keep an eye on scalability!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rbrandsbi ,

As tazzbh said, all reports use a semantic model. It keeps things neat and tidy. Here are my thoughts and additions on the subject.

Using one semantic model for all reports maintains consistency, and sharing metrics and relationships ensures consistency across all reports, but if there is a problem with the shared model, it affects all reports at the same time, and a single model may not be the best long term solution if your client plans to expand significantly.

One semantic model per report allows each report to have its own semantic model to minimize the risk of affecting other reports. You can also customize each model to meet specific reporting requirements, but managing multiple models can be more complex and time-consuming, and there may be similar tables and relationships in different models.

Overall, if your client's current setup is working well and they don't anticipate major expansion, use a shared semantic model. If customization and independence are critical, consider using a separate model for each report.

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

tazzbh

Hey!

I'd say go for one semantic model for all the reports. It keeps things tidy and you won't be duplicating stuff., once change in one place affect all reports. But watch out, if something goes wrong in the shared model, it messes up all the reports at once. And if your client's planning to scale up, one model for all reports might not be the best option. Keep an eye on scalability!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors