Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JMLyle
Regular Visitor

Extracting the Username being used in a Gateway Data Source

I beleive there is a way to replace the credential being used by a Data Source on a gateway, but I haven't dug into doing that yet..

At the moment, I would just like to be able to ask a Data Source what Username it is using to authenticate to the actual database.

I prefer to do most things via PowerShell, but can grumpily use other methods if I need to.

Using Get-DataGatewayDatasource, I can get these properties, but Credentials is always NULL:

CredentialType
EncryptedConnection
PrivacyLevel
EncryptionAlgorithm
Credentials
UseCallerAADIdentity
UseEndUserOAuth2Credentials
UseCustomOAuthApp
SkipTestConnection
IsCredentialEncrypted

I can undersatnd if this is not possible to do, because it would seem like a potential information leak if it was possible, but I haven't been able to find anything confirming that it is not possible to ever see the username after it has been entered.

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @JMLyle 

Yeah I have not seen that exposed in different Microsoft products!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @JMLyle 

As far as I am aware, that is bad is on because even knowing the username can often be a risk.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yeah, agreed, it probably shouldn't be possible, but it sure would help me do a few things if it was possible.

I imagine that someone here either has been able to do it, or can point to a place where Microsoft says that you can't.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors