Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JMLyle
Regular Visitor

Extracting the Username being used in a Gateway Data Source

I beleive there is a way to replace the credential being used by a Data Source on a gateway, but I haven't dug into doing that yet..

At the moment, I would just like to be able to ask a Data Source what Username it is using to authenticate to the actual database.

I prefer to do most things via PowerShell, but can grumpily use other methods if I need to.

Using Get-DataGatewayDatasource, I can get these properties, but Credentials is always NULL:

CredentialType
EncryptedConnection
PrivacyLevel
EncryptionAlgorithm
Credentials
UseCallerAADIdentity
UseEndUserOAuth2Credentials
UseCustomOAuthApp
SkipTestConnection
IsCredentialEncrypted

I can undersatnd if this is not possible to do, because it would seem like a potential information leak if it was possible, but I haven't been able to find anything confirming that it is not possible to ever see the username after it has been entered.

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @JMLyle 

Yeah I have not seen that exposed in different Microsoft products!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @JMLyle 

As far as I am aware, that is bad is on because even knowing the username can often be a risk.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Yeah, agreed, it probably shouldn't be possible, but it sure would help me do a few things if it was possible.

I imagine that someone here either has been able to do it, or can point to a place where Microsoft says that you can't.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors