Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RudyL
Helper I
Helper I

Embedded reports not available until user loads App the report is in

Hi,

I have a report in a diamond workspace for which I added a client to the security. Then I updated the corresponding APP. In the app I copied the sharepoint online link for the report and inserted this link into a sharepoint embedded powerBI webpart.

Now when this client opens the sharepoint site, she can't see the embedded report. "No access to the report. Ask the owner to share". Then I found out that once I told her to go to her PowerBI environment, click GET APPS and add my APP for the report, this very step was enough to somehow trigger the autorisation. After 'getting the app' suddenly the embedded report in sharepoint became available.

How can I trigger this hidden step? I don't want to guide my clients through powerBI and apps and so on. I just want to present the report in a sharepoint embedded webpart. 

Anybody?

/Rudy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @RudyL 

you can add the user to both the Sharepoint group and the workspace where the report exists. The above no permission message appears because the user does not have access to the report but only have access to sharepoint site. The user actually gains access to the report When user installs the application.
It can be understood that after adding the user to the Sharepoint group, the user can access the Sharepoint site and after adding the user to the data workspace, the user can access the report.
After adding the user as a role in the Reports workspace and try again, the user will be able to access it normally.

vangzhengmsft_1-1629787374873.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-embed-report-spo#grant-access-to...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have also found this "feature" to be confusing because the warning message incorrectly says "It looks like you don't have access to this report" when in fact the user can indeed have proper access to the app while it's just not installed for them in Power BI Service. The warning in the embedded app could be phrased better with a call to action by providing the link to the underlying app by e.g. "In order to access this app you need to install it first by visiting this link".  This way most users would probably be able to solve this issue on their own. I would also argue that it is not common knowledge even among technical people that the apps need to be installed first and as such these issues seem to be completely random - works for person x but not person y. Additionally as per the current warning text admins & technical people are prone to assume access management issues instead of simply just asking people to install the app...

I thought that is common knowledge. One (bad) way to mitigate it is to allow automatic app installation in the tenant admin settings. I wouldn't recommend that.

v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @RudyL 

you can add the user to both the Sharepoint group and the workspace where the report exists. The above no permission message appears because the user does not have access to the report but only have access to sharepoint site. The user actually gains access to the report When user installs the application.
It can be understood that after adding the user to the Sharepoint group, the user can access the Sharepoint site and after adding the user to the data workspace, the user can access the report.
After adding the user as a role in the Reports workspace and try again, the user will be able to access it normally.

vangzhengmsft_1-1629787374873.png

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-embed-report-spo#grant-access-to...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-angzheng-msft ,

Thank you for taking time to answer this. I guess it's a solution but in the 3rd step in the shared link it says "Now all end users need to install the app too". And this is the part I was hoping to avoid using the embedded reports. I was hoping end users would not be dragged into the app.powerBI environment. But from your answer and I previous answer from @lbendlin  I understand this is not an option.

/Rudy

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

There's an alternative but it is even worse - you could "share to web".

RudyL
Helper I
Helper I

But that would mean that you can never present a site containing embedded powerBI reports to a client without the client accessing 'your powerBI environment'. I really would like that to be not the case.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can only do that by asking your tenant admin to enable the "automatically install apps"  feature.  Please be really sure that you really want to do that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors