Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gaupop13
Regular Visitor

On premises data gateway upgrade (cluster)

Hi - has anybody done an on-premises data gateway upgrade for a cluster of servers?

I have a primary and secondary server and would like to know the steps or cautions to be taken care of.

What all measures do I need as the current version of gateway is 2 year old.

As per MS documentation:
Please follow the following steps while updating a gateway cluster with two or more members:

Disable one gateway member.
Update the gateway member.
Enable the updated gateway member.
Repeat step 1-3 until all gateway members are updated

How do I disable one gateway?

Any help is really appreciated. These are production live servers and so I want to make sure it doesn't break any connectivity.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @gaupop13 ,

disabling a member of a gateway cluster is simple, use the gateway dialog to stop the service, then update the cluster member start the gateway member - done.

You have to be aware, that some things changed over the last two years, make sure that your gateway machines meet the latest requirements. There have been some changes in the past: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install

Depending on the number of data sources that you are supporting, maybe you want to consider creating the new cluster first and then move the existing data sources to the new cluster. Maybe there will be a downtime for a certain dataset, but this can be reduced to a minimum.

Make sure you have all the required information and then simply create a new data source name:

• Name of the server
  • Name of the database
  • Service-Account and of course the password
  • Users of the data source

I would recommend this approach, and prepare the workspace owners to change the connection accordingly using the new data source name, this will reduce the downtime (the unavailability) for directquery / live connection or dataset refreshes to a minimum, if this switch will happen between two data refreshes or during an off-time.

Hopefully, this provides some ideas on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @gaupop13 ,

disabling a member of a gateway cluster is simple, use the gateway dialog to stop the service, then update the cluster member start the gateway member - done.

You have to be aware, that some things changed over the last two years, make sure that your gateway machines meet the latest requirements. There have been some changes in the past: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-install

Depending on the number of data sources that you are supporting, maybe you want to consider creating the new cluster first and then move the existing data sources to the new cluster. Maybe there will be a downtime for a certain dataset, but this can be reduced to a minimum.

Make sure you have all the required information and then simply create a new data source name:

• Name of the server
  • Name of the database
  • Service-Account and of course the password
  • Users of the data source

I would recommend this approach, and prepare the workspace owners to change the connection accordingly using the new data source name, this will reduce the downtime (the unavailability) for directquery / live connection or dataset refreshes to a minimum, if this switch will happen between two data refreshes or during an off-time.

Hopefully, this provides some ideas on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks @TomMartens . I will try to implement and see how it goes.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors