Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Ratnababu
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic RLS in Datamarts

Is dynamic RLS supports in Datamarts? I was trying to use USERPRINCIPALNAME (). But its not working.

Please help me if anyone able to implement dynamic RLS?

6 REPLIES 6
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Ratnababu 

I've got RLS working in Datamarts, it works in the same way, just the UI to create and maintain roles takes a little getting used to. USERPRINCIPALNAME() works fine.

However one issue I found when using Datamarts, is that when modelling, creating a relationship from table to table necessary for RLS, the relationship is defaulted to Many to One, not One to Many as required. So take a careful look at the relationships in your Datamodel built in Datamarts, it may be the wrong way around and that is what is stopping RLS from working.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for reply.. I was trying to implement for one table for POC with USERPRINCIPALNAME() but it was not working for me. Could you please share an example if its working for you. 

Hi @Ratnababu , @JR-DCPS ,

Sorry to say I was wrong. I thought my RLS was working with USERPRINCIPALNAME() but on testing it turns out to not be.

Annoyingly you can put USERPRINCIPALNAME() into the filter for RLS on Datamarts with no error, but it does not work. I did some further investigation, and "Static" RLS works fine, but it does not allow any DAX based comparison, so I must assume "Dynamic" RLS is not possible in Datamarts at this time. Datamarts are still in "Preview" so I hope this functionality will be added before general availability.

Hope this helps

Stuart

Is this still broken?  This post was from a year ago and yet RLS still doesn't seem to be working, yet we're in our 60 day Fabric trial.  This is a showstopper for us in trying to migrate to Fabric.

Fabric in terms of the Lakehouses and such may work differently but last I checked RLS wasn't available yet. For the datamarts...yeah this has been a bit of a painpoint and a showstopper. There's a post in the ideas forum but I don't think it ever received enough traction.

Do you have an example of how this works? As far as I could tell, you couldn't use DAX in the datamart RLS which has prevented me from considering it as an option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors