Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gogrizz
Advocate I
Advocate I

Quicker Way to do "MAXIFS" to Find the Last Purchase Date

Here's a sample of what I'm doing in EXCEL and need to translate into Power Query

sample2.jpg

The first  3 columns are connected to an external data source (no formula required).

For every row (that represents an order) I want to know the corresponding previous order for that specific company.

I.E. US-158 (blue) is showing 4 orders, their first order (ID 3843) doesn't have a previous order so it's value is 0.  For their 2nd order (3848), the 4th column indicates that this company's previous order was 3843.  etc. etc.

In Excel, I set the formula in the [previous_order] column to find the maximum order_ID. Excel has the useful "MAXIFS" function so I can set the following conditions

1. Only look at the [order_ID] column when the value is less than the "order_ID" of that specific row.
  2. Only look at rows where the [account_number] is the same as the "account_number" of that specific row.

The real data set has 20k purchase records.  In POWER QUERY, I've found a way to replicate it by grouping the rows according to account_number, adding a rank, adding a row of lists, then expanding each list.  The problem is that it takes 5-10 minutes to refresh in Power BI.  (I found 4 other ways, with grouping, conditional merging, "List.Max", etc.  - but they take even longer.)

Excel calculates all 20k records in 4 seconds.

Does anyone know a quicker way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hi, @gogrizz try smth like this

let
    Source = your_source_table,
    g = Table.Group(Source, "account", {{"data", each f(Table.Sort(_, "order_id"))}}),
    f = (t as table) as table =>
        let 
            a = List.Buffer({0} & List.RemoveLastN(t[order_id], 1)),
            b = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(t) & {a}, Table.ColumnNames(t) & {"previous_order"})
        in b,
    expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(g, "data", {"order_id", "order_date", "previous_order"})
in
    expand

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlienSx
Super User
Super User

Hi, @gogrizz try smth like this

let
    Source = your_source_table,
    g = Table.Group(Source, "account", {{"data", each f(Table.Sort(_, "order_id"))}}),
    f = (t as table) as table =>
        let 
            a = List.Buffer({0} & List.RemoveLastN(t[order_id], 1)),
            b = Table.FromColumns(Table.ToColumns(t) & {a}, Table.ColumnNames(t) & {"previous_order"})
        in b,
    expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(g, "data", {"order_id", "order_date", "previous_order"})
in
    expand

That's unreal.  Thank you so much!  I started down something similar, but I was no where near what you wrote.

I don't expect a full tutorial...but do you know of a video or site that goes through the general idea of what's going on there?  It works perfectly - but I can't figure out exactly why.

Thanks again!

Hi, the whole idea is to "slide down" order_id column by 1 position (skip last item and add zero item ahead). [order_id] column is a list so we use List.RemoveLastN function to cut the tail and lists concatenation ( & ) to add {0} element. To add the whole new column to our table we transform our table into a list of lists (of columns) using Table.ToColumns, add new list ( {a} ) and transform this list back into table using Table.FromColumns. This is how custom function f works.

In order to apply this function to a particular account data we group our data by account (Table.Group) and apply our function to each group of data (step g). Don't forget to sort every table by order_id (or order_date and order_id).

Finally we expand our (transformed) account data tables back into single table. One may use Table.Combine applied to the [data] column (this is list of tables) as well but I've chosen  Table.ExpandTableColumn this time.

It's all about the main idea (step a in custom function) and basic knowledge of how to work with tables and lists. It's a challenge every time. Have fun with Power Query M! 

Another huge help!  Thanks for going above and beyond!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors