Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

matteoumbri
Frequent Visitor

Cannot connect to Analysis services with PBI desktop, ok with excel

Hi everyone, 

on my notebook, where I am logged as domain user myCompanyDomain\my.user I can connect with no problems to a remote  Analysis services multidimensional model, using Excel: I select Get Data > from Analysis services, enter the server name as bi.someserver.com:1564 then I enter the username ourlogin@bi.supplierdomain.com and the password abc123. After some seconds I get the list of the available cubes, select one, and build a pivot, all fine. 

I was told by our supplier, the owner of the analysis services database, which is located outside of our company domain, that in order to connect using Power BI I should start it with:

runas /netonly /user:ourlogin@bi.supplierdomain.com "Path\to\PBIDesktop.exe"

Then enter the password when prompted on cmd window. PBI opens, then Get Data from Analysis services, enter the server name (no credentials are asked). 

But when I try that I always get the error "we could not connect to analysis services server because the connection timed out or server name is incorrect".

Same error if I start Power BI Desktop normally, get data from Analysis services, enter server name, enter credentials (I use "basic" credentials, but I also tried the other options without success)

Can anyone help me understanding what's wrong with PBI? Why can't I connect to that server with Power BI Desktop, since on the same machine I can connect with Excel using the same credentials and server name? For info, I am on Windows 11, but same issue occurred with Windows 10, and PBI is latest version (updated about 1 week ago).

Many Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
matteoumbri
Frequent Visitor

Finally I was able to connect from PBI Desktop to remote Analysis services outside our domain, the trick is that when you use "runas /netonly", on the credential prompt in power query, you need to select "Windows credentials".

The issue that I have now is on the service, the Gateway returns error, but I am going to post another question on this

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
matteoumbri
Frequent Visitor

Finally I was able to connect from PBI Desktop to remote Analysis services outside our domain, the trick is that when you use "runas /netonly", on the credential prompt in power query, you need to select "Windows credentials".

The issue that I have now is on the service, the Gateway returns error, but I am going to post another question on this

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @matteoumbri ,

You may try this:

runas /netonly /user: Domain\username "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\PBIDesktop.exe"

Refer to:

https://debug.to/544/open-powerbi-desktop-with-different-domain-account

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Connecting-PowerBI-local-to-SSAS-Azure/m-p/149949

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Connecting-to-SSAS-for-a-non-domain-user/m-p/92512

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-eqin-msft 

thanks for your reply, that is what I already tried without success, getting the same error. 

Note the username format: 

ourlogin@bi.supplierdomain.com

that is accepted and works fine in Excel, my only guess is that PBI needs

Domain\user

format; that's why I also tried this:

bi.supplierdomain.com\ourlogin

and other variations, but still got error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors