Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jeevanabattu
Helper I
Helper I

Row sorting is not working in matrix Visual

Hi,

I am new to Power BI, need help please!!

Is sorting in matrix visual is based on first row. I have 5 rows in matrix visual, where first row is name and 2nd row is finish date.

I want to sort based on finish date, but matrix visual is sorting based on name which is 1st row.

Note: I tried sort by option in visual but it is not working

I tried sorting the 'Finish date' column in the table, but nothing is working.

Please help me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jeevanabattu ,

According to my test, this may not be possible. How should it be displayed if you want to sort by Finish field using the following sample data?

yingyinr_0-1616659610740.png

Perhaps you can consider creating a table visual instead of matrix, then you can refer the following document by use multi-column sort for table. But doing so will lose the hierarchical levels...

Multi-column sort for tables

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jeevana 
Do you find an answer to you question . Facing same problem

Hi Siva,

No, I have to place the field which I want to sort in the First Row like in the below screenshot I want to sort Matrix visual based on Finish Date, so placed it in the First row.

jeevanabattu_0-1643856850640.png

Thanks,

Jeevana.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for quick resoponse.
If I do like that the visual look and feel will change. Anyway Thanks once again

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Please specify what you mean by row name. Maybe show a picture?

Hi,

Thank you for the fast response.

Please find the below screenshot:

jeevanabattu_0-1616469926946.png

I want to sort based on finish date, but matrix visual is sorting based on name which is 1st row value.

Note: I tried sort by option in visual but it is not working

I tried sorting the 'Finish date' column in the table, but nothing is working.

Hi @jeevanabattu ,

Do you want the matrix sort the data by Finish field? If yes, please put Finish field before Milestone Name field just like below screenshot. If you keep the original fields setting, the matrix will sort the data by Milestone Name first then Finish field....

yingyinr_0-1616657022540.png

Best Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

But my client wants to sort by 'Finish date' and 'Milestone name' should be the first column.

Can you please help, if that is possible.

Thanks,

Jeevana.

Hi @jeevanabattu ,

According to my test, this may not be possible. How should it be displayed if you want to sort by Finish field using the following sample data?

yingyinr_0-1616659610740.png

Perhaps you can consider creating a table visual instead of matrix, then you can refer the following document by use multi-column sort for table. But doing so will lose the hierarchical levels...

Multi-column sort for tables

Best Regards

Hey @jeevanabattu @v-yiruan-msft 

This is technically possible if you are using regular columns or calculated columns, not with measures though. If you use the Data tab and select the table you have your data located in. Select the "Milestone Name" column, then open "Sort by Column" drop down in the column tools ribbon and select "Finish". This will sort your Milestone Names by your Finish column. In the example below, Account would be your Milestone Names column. And you would select Finish in the drop down.  

dillonfarrar_1-1660336480824.png

Please help me on this

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.