Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

cbks
Regular Visitor

Enhanced Power BI REST API refresh not sending out notifications to dataset subscribers

Hi,

I've built a power automate flow custom connector using Enhanced refresh with Power BI REST API - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

its refreshing the dataset but then not notifying subscibers of the dataset when the refresh is complete or failed.

I've tried including at least one of these fields:

{ "type": "Full", "commitMode": "transactional", "maxParallelism": 2, "retryCount": 2 }

and also with/ without 

"notifyOption": "MailOnCompletion"

If I use the regular API without a json body, the dataset refreshes and an email notification is sent out on refresh completed to subscribers of the datset.

I'm wanting to us the enhanced API so that we also have the option od using cancel refresh too. I'm on the understanding that to cancel a dataset refresh you have to use the enhanced version of the PBI REST API.

I keep finding open threads like this notifyOption on rest API doesn't work - Microsoft Power BI Community where this seems to be a long standing issue, but no solution.

Does anyone know if its a known issue with the Enhanced API? Or have a solution?
The datasets getting refreshed are in a shared workspace and we have PBI Pro liscence. 

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
cbks
Regular Visitor

Hi @JAnder 

Thanks for your reply!

The notifications would normally go out to any one subscribed to the dataset, usually just a users email address. This configuration works for refreshing via the regular PBI API refresh.

In the refresh examples below, single user subscribers to a dataset are receiving email notifications on refresh completion Via Api but not Via Enhanced Api.

cbks_0-1667554236495.png

JAnder
Helper I
Helper I

I haven't tried your exact scenario, but certainly notification on scheduled refreshes is not supported while using as service principal. That may be related to your problem

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/update-refresh-schedule-in-group

The notification option on termination of a scheduled refresh. Service principals only support the NoNotification value.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors