Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Weighting Utilisation Hours by FTE decimal

hi all,

we just got Power BI at work hooray !!, I was trying to use it to do some employee timesheet calcs and I'm stuck, this seeems to have a huge community so i wondered if you could help 🙂

So 

I want to find out what employee utilsation is -

I have two tables 1 dimension where instances of hours and thier activitiy are recorded and a fact table that contains employee details. the dimension table has an hours column where people enter either 3.7 for a half day or 7.4 for a full day, sometimes there are multiple entries for the same day. 

I've had no problem adding a conditional column to the fact table based on the type of activity and can get a utilisation %  by dividing the total hours by the chargeable hours, but should I be taking peoples FTE hours or ratio into account?, on the person key i have an FTE hours and a ratio column I could use. 

fld list.jpgexdata.jpgPerson List.pngIs there some dax that could do this complete calc - I'm intermediate level - unfortunately I cant share a file - but i have put some pictures 

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

What result do you want? Please list expected result, could you please give an example?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi Angelia

I want to find a % utilsation figure but adjusted for FTE

I tried lots of measures but I think I'm missing something

I have a measure for total hours TOTHOURS = CALCULATE(SUM([POT[HOURS])

& one for chargeable time based on an additional column that marks activity 'chg' or 'nonchg'

CHGHOURS = CALCULATE(SUM([POT[HOURS]),

FILTER(POT,POT[CHG/NONCHG] = "CHG")

I get utilisation by dividing one by the other

what im unsure about is weather or not I should adjust for the fact that some people are part time, or is it enough that powerbi only sums the entries people make so an adjustment is not required.

if I should adjust is there some kind of nested function I could use

many thanks for your response

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.