Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Weighting Utilisation Hours by FTE decimal

hi all,

we just got Power BI at work hooray !!, I was trying to use it to do some employee timesheet calcs and I'm stuck, this seeems to have a huge community so i wondered if you could help 🙂

So 

I want to find out what employee utilsation is -

I have two tables 1 dimension where instances of hours and thier activitiy are recorded and a fact table that contains employee details. the dimension table has an hours column where people enter either 3.7 for a half day or 7.4 for a full day, sometimes there are multiple entries for the same day. 

I've had no problem adding a conditional column to the fact table based on the type of activity and can get a utilisation %  by dividing the total hours by the chargeable hours, but should I be taking peoples FTE hours or ratio into account?, on the person key i have an FTE hours and a ratio column I could use. 

fld list.jpgexdata.jpgPerson List.pngIs there some dax that could do this complete calc - I'm intermediate level - unfortunately I cant share a file - but i have put some pictures 

2 REPLIES 2
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

What result do you want? Please list expected result, could you please give an example?

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi Angelia

I want to find a % utilsation figure but adjusted for FTE

I tried lots of measures but I think I'm missing something

I have a measure for total hours TOTHOURS = CALCULATE(SUM([POT[HOURS])

& one for chargeable time based on an additional column that marks activity 'chg' or 'nonchg'

CHGHOURS = CALCULATE(SUM([POT[HOURS]),

FILTER(POT,POT[CHG/NONCHG] = "CHG")

I get utilisation by dividing one by the other

what im unsure about is weather or not I should adjust for the fact that some people are part time, or is it enough that powerbi only sums the entries people make so an adjustment is not required.

if I should adjust is there some kind of nested function I could use

many thanks for your response

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.