Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

KumarC
Frequent Visitor

Totals from two different matrix - sum it in third matrix as Grand Total

Hello, It has been a month since i've started using PowerBI and im learning every single day. I have hit a wall and need your support in acheiving the desired output.

Preparing a Summary Page on a report with multiple sub pages, basically subsets of information under different categories.

In the Summary Page, I am trying to do some calculations using the totals from other matrix on the same page. The main problem is that the data is not clean, as it was compiled from 4 to 5 different data sources into a single database (mysql). I have included multiple columns to have all the data in one place and use the filters to generate the outputs under different categories etc., all along a date column (even the dates are in atleast 3 different columns). I know its a mess, but im trying my best to have this done as efficiently as possible.

Below picture shows two matrix:

first half is a matrix with 'POS' on rows, 'payment date' in columns

second half is another matrix with 'Product name' on rows, 'invoice date' in columns

Capture.PNG

What is need a Table/Matrix showing a Sum of total from first matrix and total from second matrix. I could do this comfortable in excel (shown below) but the data is getting too big to be handled in excel, hence ive switched to mysql and connected it to powerbi for automation.

Snapshot from excel, once i have the total, there are few other calculations that goes further. 

Is it possible to have this level of calculations done in power bi? 

Capture1.PNG

Thank you!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@KumarC , I have created something similar using extended dimension in P&L

Power BI How to get the P&L formatting right: https://youtu.be/C9K8uVfthUU

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@KumarC , I have created something similar using extended dimension in P&L

Power BI How to get the P&L formatting right: https://youtu.be/C9K8uVfthUU

Thank you for the response! After carefully considering the current calculations and future calculations that may be required, I've decided the modify the underlying data structure itself. That resolved the current need! I will still go through the video for knowledge and perhaps it will come handy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.