Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

henkka
Helper II
Helper II

Why can't I place a value to the bar chart x-axis?

Hi,

I have a calculated table like this. New workagreements by year. Both of those values are Whole numbers. 

When I place these to table visual everything is ok, but when I try to use bar/columnchart I'm not able to put either of the values to the X-Axis. I think there is a simple reason for that but I can't figure it out why, 

Screenshot 2023-01-12 141903.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, appreciate your response but this is not what I'm after for. My question was and wha if trying to understand is why these field values can't be placed to X and Y axis.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

what are you putting on the Y axis ?  Do you include something in the legend? Is it a stacked or regular bar chart?

Hi, I'm tryin to place the year to the other and the count of new agreement to other axis. These are the only values that I'm trying to add to the visual which is the regular bar chart. I' not able to place the year nor agreementcount to the Y-Axis

henkka_0-1673718675707.png

I see you include start year in the legend. try without that.

If I'm trying either of those agreement count or star year together or individually PBI not allowing to place the value to the Y-Axis. I can place these fields/values only to the X-Axis or to the legend or small multiples. 

Here is also the DAX which generates the calculated columns

CALCULATETABLE(
        SUMMARIZE (
            'FactWorkagreement' ,
             ROLLUP ( FactWorkagreement[Start year]  ) ,
            "agreementcount" ,  [#Of Employees]
               )
        )

henkka_0-1673725166696.png

You don't want to include ROLLUP in your visuals.  That would duplicate data.

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue.
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

Hi, appreciate your response but this is not what I'm after for. My question was and wha if trying to understand is why these field values can't be placed to X and Y axis.

Please provide sample data that covers your issue or question completely.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-provide-sample-data-in-the-Power-BI-Forum/ba-...
Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/m-p/1447523

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.