Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zraopingm
Helper I
Helper I

TOTALQTD

hello, 

rather than using calculate to calculate total q1, q2,q3, q4: 

can i use totalqtd Dax and filter date[quarte]="q1", or "q2"..etc...? this does not work for me..

Many thanks

Zoey

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Create a Clustered Column chart.

Put your measure on the Y Axis.

Put the YEAR on the X Axis.

Put the Quarter on the Legend.

ToddChitt_0-1712799833270.png

I think you are over-thinking it.

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Yes, if you want to see the totals by quarter, you can just use your base measure that you have and put it in for values and put quarters in on columns and the values will appear as they should.

TOTALQTD would come in handy if you want a visual where you perhaps had a MTD, QTD, and YTD all showing, but not being broke out by the individual months and quarters.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
audreygerred
Super User
Super User

Hello - yes, this should work. Do you have a date table that is marked as a date table and joined to your fact table? Also, make sure you are also filtered to a year, not just a quarter.

You DAX should look something like this: QTD = TOTALQTD([Your Measure], 'DateTable'[Date])

hi, 

yes this formula works, yes i have date table in which i have date[month], date[monthNO], date[qNO] and date[yyyy]...

i guess with this, say if i want to see q1, q2 total, i can just use datetable qNO as the columns.. 

in the past, curently i am mannually using calcuate filter where date[qNO]="Q1" to get Q1 total, q2 total measures,.. since we have totalqtd, I would like to skip calculate, just to be time intelligent.

Thank you

Zoey

Yes, if you want to see the totals by quarter, you can just use your base measure that you have and put it in for values and put quarters in on columns and the values will appear as they should.

TOTALQTD would come in handy if you want a visual where you perhaps had a MTD, QTD, and YTD all showing, but not being broke out by the individual months and quarters.

Thank you!!! i created so many measures rather than using datetable and utilizing  time intelligent.. 

i feel like going back simply using power query and back to pivot table.. 

Thank you thank you

Zoey

You are very welcome! A well defined date table is your best friend! Here is an article I wrote about it and it also has a link to my favorite date table which is from SQLBI. It makes all measures so easy! The Custom Date Table Edition – Power BI with Me

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

That does not sound like an efficient thing to do. 

What is your goal? What is the END result? Do you simply want a visual that breaks the data down by Quarter? Then make sure your date dimension has both Year and Quarter attributes in it and use those in the visual.

What am I missing?

Did I answer your question? If so, mark my post as a solution. Also consider helping someone else in the forums!

Thank you for getting back..

end goal is have a total of q1,q2,q3,q4, this way, all i need to do is by years on the columns...

i can achieve this by calculate. but if i can use totalqtd, then top it of by years on the columns, 

many thanks

Zoey

Create a Clustered Column chart.

Put your measure on the Y Axis.

Put the YEAR on the X Axis.

Put the Quarter on the Legend.

ToddChitt_0-1712799833270.png

I think you are over-thinking it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.