Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

arothberg
Frequent Visitor

Adding Columns to Model backed by Azure Analysis Services

I have a model whose data source is "Azure Analysis Services". I am trying to define a "New Column" in this model but the button is grayed out.

arothberg_2-1712767937919.png

If I click "Make Changes to this model",

arothberg_1-1712767916027.png

I get this popup:

arothberg_0-1712767857280.png

("Learn More" takes me here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/desktop-composite-models)

What are the implications (and downsides) of clicking "Add a local model"? Are there performance implications etc.?

Is there some other way that I can enable adding columns to my model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arothberg ,

Based on your description, I think you are using live connect connection mode. It does not store data in Power BI and it queries the data source every time. However, in live connect, Power Query is not available at all. All you can do is change the source data model to another model or another server. In the bottom right corner of the power bi desktop, you can see what connection mode the data is in at the moment.

vkaiyuemsft_0-1712800028304.png

The Add a local model button changes the connection mode from live connect to direct query mode, which is a direct connection to the data source. The data will not be stored in the Power BI model. power BI will be a visualisation layer, and then the data will be queried from the data source each time. power BI will only store the table metadata (table names, column names, relationships, etc.) and not the data. power BI file sizes will be much smaller, and it's likely that you'll never reach the size limit because there is no data stored in the model.

Live Connection and Direct Query each have advantages and disadvantages for different scenarios. When choosing between these Power BI connection types, consider factors such as data source compatibility, data transformation requirements, and query performance.

For more details, please refer to the link: Power BI Connection Types: DirectQuery, Live, or Import? Tough Decision!

What's the difference between live connections and DirectQuery?

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-kaiyue-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @arothberg ,

Based on your description, I think you are using live connect connection mode. It does not store data in Power BI and it queries the data source every time. However, in live connect, Power Query is not available at all. All you can do is change the source data model to another model or another server. In the bottom right corner of the power bi desktop, you can see what connection mode the data is in at the moment.

vkaiyuemsft_0-1712800028304.png

The Add a local model button changes the connection mode from live connect to direct query mode, which is a direct connection to the data source. The data will not be stored in the Power BI model. power BI will be a visualisation layer, and then the data will be queried from the data source each time. power BI will only store the table metadata (table names, column names, relationships, etc.) and not the data. power BI file sizes will be much smaller, and it's likely that you'll never reach the size limit because there is no data stored in the model.

Live Connection and Direct Query each have advantages and disadvantages for different scenarios. When choosing between these Power BI connection types, consider factors such as data source compatibility, data transformation requirements, and query performance.

For more details, please refer to the link: Power BI Connection Types: DirectQuery, Live, or Import? Tough Decision!

What's the difference between live connections and DirectQuery?

If your Current Period does not refer to this, please clarify in a follow-up reply.

Best Regards,

Clara Gong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.