Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sort by another column issue - already sorted?

Hi, 

I want to sort a list of 100 codes in the following way: 

Select 10 codes and sort them alphabetically first. And after these sort the rest of the codes alphabetically below. 

I created a new colum in order to give the 10 codes I wanted sorted on top number 1: 

Sorting number = SWITCH('Codes'[Code]; "JKA21"; 1;"JDF11"; 1;"JHD30"; 1;"JHW96"; 1;"JFG00"; 1;"JFB30"; 1;"JFB31"; 1;"JGB01"; 1;"JGB30"; 1;"JGB31"; 1; 2)

But when I try to sort my "code" column by another column "Sorting number" I get the following error message:

"This column can't be sorted by a column that is already sorted, directly or indirectly, by this column". 

What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
QuinnP
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Lenerius

I just came across the same error!

For me the issue was that I was using DAX to definine a column (call it A) using another DAX defined column (call it B). Because A is sorted by itself by default, and A is defined by B, asking to sort B by A results in a circular reference. To fix this I redefined my DAX so that both A and B were sorted by an original table column, then everything worked fine!

Hope that helps!

Quinn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
QuinnP
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi Lenerius

I just came across the same error!

For me the issue was that I was using DAX to definine a column (call it A) using another DAX defined column (call it B). Because A is sorted by itself by default, and A is defined by B, asking to sort B by A results in a circular reference. To fix this I redefined my DAX so that both A and B were sorted by an original table column, then everything worked fine!

Hope that helps!

Quinn

Anonymous
Not applicable

@QuinnPThanks! That ended up being my solution as well! Thanks for sharing!

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

You can also refer to following blog to know how to create a related sort table to enable sort by column feature:

Custom Sorting in Power BI 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.