Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

JSiebrecht
Resolver I
Resolver I

Slicer shows duplicates once published

I obsever an annoying phenomenon I can't resolve:

I have a slicer for data with duplicate entries in the underlying table column.
In Power BI Desktop it shows each value only once in the slicer (although there are usually 96 instances of it in the table).
Once I published the report to the service, the same slicer then shows all duplicates.
I have very similar (if not the same) constructs in other reports, too. And it works fine.
Anyone have a hint as to why in the published version all of a sudden I see the duplicates in the slicer?
Many thanks for your help!

JSiebrecht_0-1607943808645.png

The slicer goes on the column "Date Selection" (is type TEXT to allow for search for the line containing the string "today", "tomorrow"). Structure looks like this:

JSiebrecht_1-1607944335058.png

The DAX for the calculated column "Date Selection" looks like this:
Date Selection =

IF('Selectable_Quarterhours'[All Dates]=FORMAT(today(),"d.m.yyyy"),"Today ("&FORMAT(today(),"d.m.")&")",if('Selectable_Quarterhours'[All Dates]=FORMAT(today()-1,"d.m.yyyy"),"Yesterday ("&FORMAT(today()-1,"d.m.")&")",if('Selectable_Quarterhours'[All Dates]=FORMAT(today()+1,"d.m.yyyy"),"Tomorrow ("&FORMAT(today()+1,"d.m.")&")",'Selectable_Quarterhours'[All Dates])))

The overall data model is such:

There are some bidirectional filters, which is not recommended for complex models. But I do not have any alternative routes from one table to an other, so no sweat.

JSiebrecht_2-1607944471102.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JSiebrecht
Resolver I
Resolver I

FOOOOUUUUUNNNNDDD IT!
After three days of troubleshooting and deleting one measure at a time, publishing and checking it the problem persists, I finally found the problem!
Turns out, the calculated column I used in my slicer ("Date Selection") was unnoticed specified to be sorted by an other calculated column ("Quarterhour").
Why? Don't know.
Why this caused the slicer to show the items multiple times? Don't know either.
But I now specified "Date Selection" shall be sorted by itself, published it and VOILA! Works again.
JSiebrecht_1-1607965597633.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Volha
Regular Visitor

Hi! Have the same problem, but in my case there is important to save sort column by another column. Any ideas?

JSiebrecht
Resolver I
Resolver I

FOOOOUUUUUNNNNDDD IT!
After three days of troubleshooting and deleting one measure at a time, publishing and checking it the problem persists, I finally found the problem!
Turns out, the calculated column I used in my slicer ("Date Selection") was unnoticed specified to be sorted by an other calculated column ("Quarterhour").
Why? Don't know.
Why this caused the slicer to show the items multiple times? Don't know either.
But I now specified "Date Selection" shall be sorted by itself, published it and VOILA! Works again.
JSiebrecht_1-1607965597633.png
JSiebrecht
Resolver I
Resolver I

@amitchandak , thanks for the quick response.
Since I was not sure which cache you refer to, the browser cache or the Data Load cach in PBI Desktop, I tried both.
No such luck.
For an other report with the same construct (measure DAX above composes the string format  slightly different) it continues to work. Also published on the Service.
Strange.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@JSiebrecht , I saw someone else also reported duplicate values. Please clear the cache and try. If this does not fix the issue log and issue. -https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.