Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
840 REPLIES 840

Oh my goodness, yes.    Or rather put, if the CAT Team were engaged and helped to put commonsense into this in the same way they envisioned Fabric....., and if Satya himself said look what awesomeness we have for you.   We care about the Makers, the Admins, the Business users, and envision a way to help you all to have a better experience and outshine Tableau and Google.  Maybe then I would believe in this.  But no.

Thank you @Heather_R .  Very articulate.

jeffersodsilv10

I would like to know if is possible to create acumulate value in the matrix, but with Product Name and acumulate values in the vertical and dates (by day) in horizontal

jeffersodsilv10_0-1692047457450.png

I need to do acumulated value by day, but like it.

Janos
Advocate I
Advocate I

In the Build a visual pane when the Visual types section is expanded, you can't scroll the pane anymore until you collapse the Visual types section. 

Janos_0-1692037691163.png

SirNightNight

I cant stand it - awfull

Menno

I'm not a fan of the pane switcher. The Build a Visual option disappears from my switcher, and other panes collapse even without me selecting the collapse dropdown randomly.  Also the X at the top of the pane doesn't behave intuitively: instead of collapsing the pane, it removes the pane from the pane switcher, requiring more 'fixing'.

While I appreciate the effort to increase real estate for the visuals, I strongly prefer the old way of collapsing panes. 

HourGlass
Frequent Visitor

Really hope it doesn't get implemented. 

It is so distracting and more difficult and time consuming to use.

wangfeng9988333
Advocate II
Advocate II

I turned off On-Object Interaction 4 times due to spending so much time doing my work. It isn't charming ever in Power bi preview history. 

ctappan
Advocate III
Advocate III

It's terrible UX. Visually clunky, functionally clunky, everything takes more clicks than before. Field names more than 12 characters--12(!!!)--are truncated in the "Build a visual" menu.

It's terrible. Terrible.

Honestly, I hope it doesn't get implemented, unless it's an option, because I don't see the possibility of replacing it. It would be much more interesting to implement some improvements in the current panels, such as collapsing the "Build visual" in the "Visualizations" panel and editing the Title of a visual directly in it and other improvements.

I think you can create icon to spin pane or create new option select to keep it show. Too difficult to remember so many shortcut to use new On-Object Interaction like "Ctrl Click". Better to make it visible.

Nhan_Phan12345_2-1691658036255.pngNhan_Phan12345_3-1691658044691.png

GarettWP
Advocate I
Advocate I

The biggest thing I'd like to see improved that makes it more difficult for me to use is how narrow the data pane is - the one that pops up when you click to add data to the visual. Especially when using display folders, I can't see much more than 1 word, which makes it hard to tell similarly named measures apart without pausing to hover over them.

It'd be great if this window was expandable like it used to be when it was its own pane, if its width could be extended, or if a setting were added to predefine its width.

GarettWP_0-1691071116319.png

Hi @GarettWP thanks for this feedback. We're adding the re-size to the 2nd flyout as we speak, targeting October release.

BugmanJ
Resolver I
Resolver I

So I have tried the update to the "on object inteaction" that is available in the July 2023 PowerBI update. In short, this allows the sticking of icons to the right hand side which is great, but fails becase as soon as i want to drag data frmo the "data" icon to the "visulation" icon i can't. In other words its as useful as a chocolate teapot because its been implemented without actually thinking how it may be used.

To get this to work, just please allow each icon to have its menu/area come out and be able to be "PINNED" out. Yes that means if i have 4 different icons "PINNED" out I am taking up real estate but this is the only way I can use the object interaction. Otherwise its back to turning it off and using the older better system.

Thank you for listening

Hi @BugmanJ pinning and a setting for always "open in new pane" is on it's way! In the interim, you can open multiple panes side by side by CTRL + Click or right click "open in new pane."

bonjourposte
Advocate II
Advocate II

I do not like this feature.  Please allow us to disable it and never have to look at it or become aware of its existence again.

huanhuan
Advocate I
Advocate I

Honey RosieL

Please make sure this new feature doesn't go into production, I hate it;

It complicates and costs me more; normally I only need clicks my mouses 3-5 to do a setup, but here I need to double click, this experience is very unfriendly;

I had to turn it off to preserve my productivity, I'm sure my co-workers will pick my choice;

dka
Advocate I
Advocate I

Usually I like the Preview features, but I had to turn this one off as it made building visuals much more complicated than it should be.

foodd
Super User
Super User

Due to the magnitude of change to the Desktop Designer with this, it would be an act of transparency to share the feedback from the Private Preview.  This came out of the blue. 

Hi foodd,

I wanted to follow up to fully understand your ask. Are you asking to know what feedback we have been receiving? Or are you asking for more warning of changes since you mentioned this came out of the blue?

Happy to answer any of your questions

I refer to Microsoft Private Preview.  That sort of feedback would have already been gathered, tabulated, and summarized prior to the Public Preview we are in now.  Sharing the entire catalog of feedback and recommendations would be a measure of trust and transparency and promote a sense of confidence in bringing such a sea change to Desktop Designer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.