Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
847 REPLIES 847

Hi @BugmanJ pinning and a setting for always "open in new pane" is on it's way! In the interim, you can open multiple panes side by side by CTRL + Click or right click "open in new pane."

bonjourposte
Advocate II
Advocate II

I do not like this feature.  Please allow us to disable it and never have to look at it or become aware of its existence again.

huanhuan
Advocate I
Advocate I

Honey RosieL

Please make sure this new feature doesn't go into production, I hate it;

It complicates and costs me more; normally I only need clicks my mouses 3-5 to do a setup, but here I need to double click, this experience is very unfriendly;

I had to turn it off to preserve my productivity, I'm sure my co-workers will pick my choice;

dka
Advocate I
Advocate I

Usually I like the Preview features, but I had to turn this one off as it made building visuals much more complicated than it should be.

foodd
Super User
Super User

Due to the magnitude of change to the Desktop Designer with this, it would be an act of transparency to share the feedback from the Private Preview.  This came out of the blue. 

Hi foodd,

I wanted to follow up to fully understand your ask. Are you asking to know what feedback we have been receiving? Or are you asking for more warning of changes since you mentioned this came out of the blue?

Happy to answer any of your questions

I refer to Microsoft Private Preview.  That sort of feedback would have already been gathered, tabulated, and summarized prior to the Public Preview we are in now.  Sharing the entire catalog of feedback and recommendations would be a measure of trust and transparency and promote a sense of confidence in bringing such a sea change to Desktop Designer.

Shewy

Please ensure this feature never makes its way into production. Thank-you.

aedward5
Advocate I
Advocate I

Strongly, strongly dislike this feature. It has made creating visuals so much harder and I find it very distracting to have to flip around in panes to pull my data in / format /revise the visual.

Hi aedward5,

Thanks for the feedback. We do have some upcoming features to help with the flipping. You'll be able to keep the panes you would like open to always show instead flipping

JonasArnout2
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi

I have been working Power Bi since the beginning and earlier with Excel Power Pivot and such.

We have come a long way and in general new features are improvements.

However the new way of building a visual is much more complex than it needs to be.

Having the option to dock "build a visual" to the side pane is already an improvement.

But now I have to chose between seeing the Data pane and the Build a visual pane.

While it could be good for new users to be able to select fields from the fieldwells directly,

some visual require a lot of columns or measures to be added and to each time click Add Data and then selecting the fields is very frustrating because earlier I could just drop them in there from one side pane (data) to the fieldwells that were in the side pane left of the data pane (the clasic experience)

The new feature is such a productivity killer for more advanced users.

Please include a way to either show multiple side panes at once or to keep the classic experience longer until you have found another solution to make this workable again.

I have often felt like an unpaid beta tester before and i never minded it for the advancement of the product.

I needed to create a new account for this and I never was too vocal on your forums anyways, but this time i feel i need to provide you with this feedback or i might be stuck with the way you designed it now...

Please fix this!

Hi @JonasArnout2 thanks for taking the time to write this feedback. We have 2 features for pinning panes and a setting for always "open in new pane" on it's way!

In the interim, you can open multiple panes side by side by CTRL + Click or right click "open in new pane."

Have you had a chance to use the new on-object formatting capabilities? Would love your thoughts on that as a long time user of Power BI, we hope the formatting is easier with the point and click.

mint-510
Regular Visitor

I am having a great deal of trouble seeing the option not to aggregate fields.

Hello, aggregations are still available on right click of a field, or you can use the flyout menu that contains the aggregations dropdown when choosing or swapping a field:

RosieL_0-1691694047418.png

Power BI should be accessible and useful to "citizen developers" as "self-service BI" for people who only spend a limited portion of their time working in Power BI. When you require right clicks and the Ctrl key and hide menu items, etc, it severely increases the learning curve and discourages use of the product by non-developers.

stimplee

Not a fan of this feature, It seems like you're messing with a good thing. If you do go forward with this, will you please leave it as a optional feature so that I don't have to use it in desktop if I dont want to?

I agree! Keep the new feature optional. Leave us a choice of layouts to accomplish our work as we prefer.

BugmanJ
Resolver I
Resolver I

Have tried this for a few months but its just horrible, the on object box gets in the way of other visuals/selection areas, doesnt always stick, is bad for interaction and the "format" select tool no longer sticks as noted here https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Format-Button-not-sticking/m-p/3334364#M1112624

Have reverted back to the original, so much better, easier to use and quicker

proteantecs
Advocate I
Advocate I

I really tried. Really. I gave it a third and then a forth try. In May, Jun and July.

And I just hate the experience. I am clicking all over the place. It is sooo confusing.

Please, RETURN OUR PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE.

Not because we are used to it, but because the new SUCKS.

We want a data pane and next to it ONE pane that has both: formatting options AND field places for a visual.

If you want to add other stuff to visuals - do it, but don't hurt what is working excellent.

I turn the feature off. Again

Hi proteantecs,

Thanks for trying out the preview. Apologies that it is making it harder for you to use the product. It is taking some time to finish the work so there is flexibility when using the menus and their placement. You may want to wait a few releases to try the preview again. Each incremental update is building to make the feature better, but it is taking time to implement. 

I know you have taken a lot of time with this preview already, but if I can ask a favor of you to check this out again in Oct. There should be more options for you at that time. Please feel free to try out any of the releases until then if you would like though. Your feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Ewan

I completely agree.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.