Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

ashmozzart
Frequent Visitor

Rename columns in Power BI in Direct Query mode and Changing the Data source

Hi all,

I am doing power bi reports using Azure SQL DataWarehouse as the Data source using DirectQuery method.Here I got some issues.

1.I tried to rename columns in the Report,It is renaming the columns but the data is not getting Refreshed.It is throwing Error like this:

"This query contains transformations that cannot be used for a live connection"

I found the below link which says its possible.But i cannot refresh the data once i renamed the columns.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/general-question-about-transformations-...

2.If it is possible to rename the columns within Power BI using Direct Query mode,If we change the Data source to another server,Will those renamed columns will automatically reflect in the new report as i am not changing any column names in the original source?

Thanks in Advance,

Ash

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ashmozzart,

1. I just verified that I can rename the columns and refresh the data successfully with Direct Query mode.

rename.PNG

2. I think so. The rename step will be applied for the new data source as long as the data structures are the same.

Regards

Is this possible for live connection as well? When I tried to change the column names in my SSAS tabular model, the changes did not carry over into my reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.