Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jolyon
Helper III
Helper III

general question about transformations in Direct Query mode

Hello everyone,

I have a general question to data transformations in Direct Query mode.

1)is it possible to produce a relationship between Data model from CRM database(using Direct Query) and a local Excel table, if I want to make mapping of two columns?

2) Is it possible to rename the columns in my Data modell or does it influence somehow the original data in database?

3) add new columns/tables etc.?

Here I found:

"If you are getting data from a relational database, such as SQL Server or Oracle, you should never import a database table directly in your data model. The reason is that this creates a strong dependency between the physical data model and the report. Over time, certain changes to the database structure might corrupt an existing report. For example, renaming a column or a table, or changing the cardinality of a table, are all operations that require a correspondent change to the Power BI data model."

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/data-import-best-practices-in-power-bi/

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jolyon,

I make a test that connect to SQL Server database via  DirectQuery option in Power BI Desktop and perform the actions you want to do.

Firstly, we are not able to import local Excel table to Power BI Desktop in the current PBIX file once you connect to SQL Server database via  DirectQuery option. You will get the following message that suggest you to switch from DirectQuery mode to import mode. Thus, in DirectQuery mode, it is impossible to produce a relationship between Data model from CRM database and a local Excel table.
1.PNG

Secondly, we can rename the columns in Power BI Desktop, it will not impact the original data in SQL Server database.

Thirdly, we are able to add new columns but we can’t add new table. For more information about using DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop, please refer to this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/ .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jolyon,

I make a test that connect to SQL Server database via  DirectQuery option in Power BI Desktop and perform the actions you want to do.

Firstly, we are not able to import local Excel table to Power BI Desktop in the current PBIX file once you connect to SQL Server database via  DirectQuery option. You will get the following message that suggest you to switch from DirectQuery mode to import mode. Thus, in DirectQuery mode, it is impossible to produce a relationship between Data model from CRM database and a local Excel table.
1.PNG

Secondly, we can rename the columns in Power BI Desktop, it will not impact the original data in SQL Server database.

Thirdly, we are able to add new columns but we can’t add new table. For more information about using DirectQuery in Power BI Desktop, please refer to this article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-use-directquery/ .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tried to rename columns in the Report in DQ mode,It is renaming the columns but the data is not getting Refreshed.It is throwing Error like this when we refresh the data:

"This query contains transformations that cannot be used for a live connection"

ok, thanks!
But I can still use Measures?

Hi @Jolyon,

Yes. You can create and use measures.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors