Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

figo12
Helper I
Helper I

New October Date Slicer still cannot sort month names correctly on Charts

Hi, the new October Date Slicer is great but it cannot sort month names correctly on Charts if they are filtered as "monthly", month names appear in the incorrect order, is there a way to fix this?

I know the trick for fixing the issue if there are month columns on the data, but in this case I have only one date value (mm/dd/yyyy), not sure how to apply the fix.

Thanks very much!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Create a new column by right clicking your table and use the below DAX Formula

MonthNo. = MONTH(YourTable[Date])

Followed by this, Select the Month Name Column in the Datatab View, Go to the Modelling Tab and Choose Sort by Column, Select MonthNo..

This will sort your month  names by the month no. . FYI- Default sorting is A-Z which makes month names sorting alphabetically.

See the screenshot.

SORT BY COLUMNSORT BY COLUMN

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

It worked great!!! Thanks very much  @BhaveshPatel

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @figo12

Sorting a month requires you to use "sort by Column Feature" to sort it correctly.

You can create a new month column in the data using DAX.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Thanks @BhaveshPatel, you mean the month column and also and ID number Column for each month?  Have not used the DAX solution before, if you have some steps it would be great. Thanks again!

Create a new column by right clicking your table and use the below DAX Formula

MonthNo. = MONTH(YourTable[Date])

Followed by this, Select the Month Name Column in the Datatab View, Go to the Modelling Tab and Choose Sort by Column, Select MonthNo..

This will sort your month  names by the month no. . FYI- Default sorting is A-Z which makes month names sorting alphabetically.

See the screenshot.

SORT BY COLUMNSORT BY COLUMN

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Hi there,

I am running in the same issue on PowerBI [November update], trying to sort month in a Slicer, drop-down list and even Weekdays from the same table.

However, even I did sort them correctly, non of both lists does any sort at the report view and show it in a list by random.

What can be wrong?

Thanks!! @BhaveshPatel I will give it a try!

It worked great!!! Thanks very much  @BhaveshPatel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.