Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Measure with relationship between two dimension tables

I would like to create measures that reference two date related dimension tables.

I have a fact table and then DIM_Date and DIM_AccountingPeriod.

DIM_Date is a pure date table and I mark it as date table - I would like to use this for time intelligence and eg cumulative measures at a day level. So it has largely a Calculation function. DIM_Date links to the Fact table with a Date_Key.

DIM_AccountingPeriod contains rows for each day (like DIM_Date), but it has a column that indicates which CalendarMonth it belongs to as well as the ReportingMonth eg ReportingDateEnd is 25/01/2023 and CalendarDateEnd is of course 31/01/2023. The reason I dont use this as date table is because there are multiple systems/companies in the database and they can have different ReportingDateEnds. I would like to use it to display the ReportingMonth or CalendarMonth with the relevant measure. DIM_AccountingPeriod links to the Fact table with a TimeID.

An inner join between would look something like this:

nikilouwgmail_0-1677590524919.png

1) can I model it in a way (star or snowflake etc) so that DIM_Date and DIM_AccountingPeriod works together and 

2) how can I write the DAX so that both those dimension tables work together

eg if the visual contains ReportingDateEnd (from DIM_AccountingPeriod) and Date (from DIM_Date), then I would like my cumulative measure to work. My measure looks as follows at the moment, but does not work. I was thinking of incorporating USERELATIONSHIP as a solution, but have not found the correct place to use it.

VAR CumulativeTotal =

CALCULATE (
[Sales],
FILTER (
ALLSELECTED ( 'DIM_Date' ),
'DIM_Date'[Date] <= MAX ( 'DIM_Date'[Date] )
),

FILTER (
ALLSELECTED ( 'DIM_AccountingPeriod' ),
'DIM_AccountingPeriod'[ReportingDateEnd]
<= MAX ( 'DIM_AccountingPeriod'[ReportingDateEnd] )
)
)

RETURN
IF ( ISBLANK ( [Sales] ), BLANK (), CumulativeTotal )

Can someone advise on the appropriate modelling and/or DAX coding to get this to work?  

Sample data -

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nIcmKu90E8_oqLxApcAeOARZo7UcehAp/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=10554...

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think better you filter accounting slicer as per need from date table, and join both with fact , that should solve purpose

How to filter the slicer of a disconnected table: https://youtu.be/cV5WfaQt6C8

or use treatas create a measure in accounting period table to filter it from date table and use it as visual level filter

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/propagate-filters-using-treatas-in-dax/

Anonymous
Not applicable

to clarify, I would like to be able to achieve this in Power BI

I would like the same measure to aggregate the daily total in the context of either the ReportingDateEnd or MonthEnd

nikilouwgmail_0-1677663573712.png

what should the measure look like?

what should the relationships between fact and the two dimension tables look like?

the fact table has relationship to DIM_Date using Date_Key and to DIM_AccountingPeriod via TimeID. how can I get both the Date from DIM_date to work with either DIM_AccountingPeriod in the same visual?

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @amitchandak 

Just checking if you have anything further to add after my response?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.