Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Danielwood
Helper I
Helper I

How to write DAX countif

Hi, my data table has lots of static information, but I want to do some countif functions to make reporting easier. I've tried using a text box, then values, and typing out the question but it's very hit and miss, so thought maybe DAX is the way forward. Problem is, I don't know how to write them!

Column A has the product name. These are duplicated.

Column B has sold, where the only answer is Y or N.

Column C is status, open, closed, being delivered.

How would I do a calculation that says number of UNIQUE product names, where sold is Y and status is being delivered? 

I think if I could get some help on the first one I can try to work out the rest. Unfortunately I can't share a table due to sensitive information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Danielwood 

1. add 0 to the measure :

count_sold_delivered =
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[product name]),'Table'[sold]="Y" &&SEARCH("bla bla bla",'Table'[status],,0)<>0)+0
Ritaf1983_0-1702652253348.png

2. The same but you need "= 0" 

count_sold_delivered =
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[product name]),'Table'[sold]="Y" &&SEARCH("shiped",'Table'[status],,0)=0)
Ritaf1983_1-1702652605860.png

The updated pbix is attached again 🙂
If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Ritaf1983
Super User
Super User

Hi @Danielwood 
You can use a dax measure :

count_sold_delivered =
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[product name]),'Table'[sold]="Y" &&'Table'[status]="delivered")
Ritaf1983_0-1702644237943.png

Pbix is attached

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

That's really helpful, thank you. So each time I want to build on this would it be an additional && for each extra criteria?

Also, if I wanted to count an entry when a word appeared in the string, in excel it you be *&* word *&*. Is there something comparable I could use? It's not the end of the world if this isn't an option 

Hi @Danielwood 
1. Yes && is equivalent to "And" in condition.
2. if your question is about searching strings in other text you can use the dax function :
"Search" 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/search-function-dax

or "Find" :
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/find-function-dax

Perfect, thank you.

The second question was still about the count function, so count where maybe the string of text is "item has been shipped", if the string includes the word shipped. In addition to the above critera

Hi @Danielwood 
You can use one of the functions that I mentioned in my previous response.

For example :

count_sold_delivered =
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[product name]),'Table'[sold]="Y" &&SEARCH("deli",'Table'[status],,0)<>0)
The updated pbix is attached 

Amazing, thank you. 

Two last questions I promise!

1) if the count finds nothing, how do I return a 0?

2) with the search function, what do I type to say exclude anything that says shipped?

@Danielwood 

1. add 0 to the measure :

count_sold_delivered =
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[product name]),'Table'[sold]="Y" &&SEARCH("bla bla bla",'Table'[status],,0)<>0)+0
Ritaf1983_0-1702652253348.png

2. The same but you need "= 0" 

count_sold_delivered =
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[product name]),'Table'[sold]="Y" &&SEARCH("shiped",'Table'[status],,0)=0)
Ritaf1983_1-1702652605860.png

The updated pbix is attached again 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.