Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

edhans
Super User
Super User

How to filter with multiple values in multiple columns

I am trying to filter a table based on two columns. The table is layed out as shown below. What I want is:

Give me all rows where:

• hst_year >= 2014 and hst_prd > 1 (that is the easy part)
    • and
  • hst_year<=2017 and hst_prd<10

I've tried this several different ways and the best I can come up with is it pulls the years 2014-2017, but only months 1-9. So the "hst_prd < 10" is being applied to both the start year (2014) and end year (2017) instead of just the end year.

2017-11-02_14-18-38.png

I could make a calculated columm combining the year and month into a real date, but I am avoiding that because this is a HUGE HUGE table and doing that means I lose query folding. It takes at least ten times as long when I tried that.

I've tried doing the first part of a clause in one Query, then having a second query that references it to do the second part. That doesn't work It still strips off all months above 9. That also breaks query folding, but at this point, I am only working with a few thousand records tops to filter out and the performance diff is negligable.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @edhans,

I want Jan 2014 - Sep 2017.

2014, 1-12

2015, 1-12

2016, 1-12

2017, 1-09

You should be able to use the M query below to filter the date column in this scenario. Smiley Happy

FilterRows = Table.SelectRows(dbo_DimDate, each ([CalendarYear]*12+[MonthNumberOfYear]>=(2014*12+1))and(([CalendarYear]*12+[MonthNumberOfYear]<=(2017*12+9))))
in
    FilterRows

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

you should use between when filtering between 2014 and 2017 and similar to month

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k wrote:

you should use between when filtering between 2014 and 2017 and similar to month

How would that look? I cannot even write that down on paper?

(between 2014 and 2017) and (between 1 and 9) wouldn't work

(between 2014 and 1) and (2017 and 9)  wouldn't work either as I don't see how the logic would tell the system to get 2015 and 3

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

why this will not work:

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@parry2k wrote:

why this will not work:

Because that will only give me months 1-9 in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017.

It will omit months 10-12 in 2014, 2015, and 2016. 

2014, 1-12

2015, 1-12

2016, 1-12

2017, 1-09

Hi @edhans,

2014, 1-12

2015, 1-12

2016, 1-12

2017, 1-09

You should be able to use the M query below to filter the date column in this scenario. Smiley Happy

FilterRows = Table.SelectRows(dbo_DimDate, each ([CalendarYear]*12+[MonthNumberOfYear]>=(2014*12+1))and(([CalendarYear]*12+[MonthNumberOfYear]<=(2017*12+9))))
in
    FilterRows

Regards

This works, and was not entirely sure why until I worked through the logic of it.

So you are just counting months here. 2014 * 12 = 24,168 months since year zero, then adding the months.

Clever.

Thank you. Let me give this a shot today.

ok then you have to add custom date column created from year and month and then filter on date from Jan 1, 2014 to Sep 2017.

That is I guess the way to go.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.