Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pbiallday
Regular Visitor

Don't Summarize in bar chart?

I have data that includes a product name, price and how long it took to sell (see table below).

I create a stacked bar chart and put Price in Y axis and Time to Sell in the X axis. However, it will combine items - e.g. Sprocket B and C - that have the same values.

How can I get it to display each column as unique product?  I'm able to do this with the Scatterplot as I can choose Don't Summarize in both axis. How can I get that same functionality in the bar chart?

I read this post and understand it's a possibility, but it seems in that case that I'd have to replace a unique column ID for either x or y axis, which I don't want to do. Appreciate any help on this.

Product NamePriceTime to sell
Sprocket A$10020
Sprocket B$20040
Sprocket C$20025
Sprocket D$15050
Sprocket E$12510
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

Is this what you are looking for?

Screenshot_7.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Drag Product name to the legend.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Ahmedx
Super User
Super User

Is this what you are looking for?

Screenshot_7.png

Yes, that works. It looks like the solution is to create a column and use this: Column = REPT(UNICHAR(8203),[Time to sell]).

Can you explain why that works? I did some digging and understand what REPT and see what it does but it's still not clear to me on why it works in this context.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

this is the formula = UNICHAR(8203), this is a zero width space.
REPT (UNICAR(8203), [Time to Sell])  - here we repeat this several times .
and so when we pass this along the Y axis, it will not be read, but it will create a uniqueness for each row.

Thank you, I accepted the solution. Could you explain one more thing, I understand the formula adding the zero width space, but if you have two rows with the same value (like B & C with $200 each) then if you add zero width to each, they are still the same and not unique (at least it would seem). So how does that actually make those unique?

here's another variant

Screenshot_4.png

This works better but after experimenting I get the same result by dragging the name field into the x-axis. So this led me to something that'll work for me so appreciate that.

uniqueness depends on the value in the Time to sell column
, if there are $200 in A and B and $40 in the Time column, then there will be no uniqueness here, you need to look for another way

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.