Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

felipereyes_
Frequent Visitor

Combine two columns from different tables in SUMMARIZE() statement

Hello everyone, 

I need to create a measure that has a virtual table that combines 2 columns from two different tables. Right now I only have the dax to combine two columns from the same table in the summarize function:

VAR table_0 =
    ADDCOLUMNS(
        CALCULATETABLE(
            SUMMARIZE(
                DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS
                ,DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL2]
                ,DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL1]
            ), REMOVEFILTERS(DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL1]), REMOVEFILTERS(DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL2]),  DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[TERR_LINEA] = "G")
        , "CM GER"
            ,CALCULATE([CM% GER2 NO_RLS]
                ,REMOVEFILTERS(DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL1_FILTER], DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL2_FILTER])
                ,REMOVEFILTERS(DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL3_FILTER], DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL4_FILTER]) )
        , "CM TU"
            ,CALCULATE([CM% TU NO_RLS]
                ,REMOVEFILTERS(DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL1_FILTER], DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL2_FILTER])
                ,REMOVEFILTERS(DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL3_FILTER], DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL4_FILTER]) )
        )

I know it is a bit long and complicated but essentially, I am taking the columns DES_TERRNIVEL1 and DES_TERRNIVEL2 (both from the table DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS), putting them into a virtual table and adding two measures with a handful of filters.
Now however, I need to combine DES_TERRNIVEL2 and the column DES_GEONIVEL2 which comes from the table DIM_GEO_NO_RLS, since I want to see the measure´s values of DES_GEONIVEL2 within DES_TERRNIVEL2. For context: the columns follow a hierarchy: DES_TERRNIVEL2 is the state, DES_TERRNIVEL1 is the county and DES_GEONIVEL2 is the city. So for this example I need to see the cities values within the states they belong to. 

I would really appreciate any kind of help!!

I tried this dax for now but it is not working:
VAR table_0 =
    ADDCOLUMNS(
        CALCULATETABLE(
            GENERATE(SUMMARIZE(
                DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS
                ,DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL2]), SELECTCOLUMNS(RELATEDTABLE(DIM_GEO_NO_RLS), "City", DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL2])
            ), REMOVEFILTERS(DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL1]), REMOVEFILTERS(DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL2]),  DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[TERR_LINEA] = "B")
        , "CM Enoxa"
            ,CALCULATE([CM% Hibor TTO 3M Informe no_rls Felipe]
                ,REMOVEFILTERS(DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL3_FILTER], DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL4_FILTER]) ))
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Why not try 

SUMMARIZE (
    DIM_GEO_NO_RLS,
    DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL2],
    DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL2]
)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ITManuel
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @felipereyes_ ,

You can SUMMARIZE a table also based on columns of other table, if the the other table is on the "1" side of a 1-Many relationship.

Just 1 tip: If you provide code in your post, please format the code and insert it via the "Insert/Edit code sample" box. This will allow users to read and understand your code much more easily.

Br

Hi Manuel, thanks for your reply. The table DIM_GEO_NO_RLS is however on the "many" side of the 1-many relationship since it has all the the cities that belong to the individual states that are in DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS. I tried to do ti like this but it doesnt work:

SUMMARIZE(
                DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS
                ,DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL2]
                ,DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL2]
            )

do you have any suggestions maybe how it could work?

Why not try 

SUMMARIZE (
    DIM_GEO_NO_RLS,
    DIM_TERRITORIO_NO_RLS[DES_TERRNIVEL2],
    DIM_GEO_NO_RLS[DES_GEONIVEL2]
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.