Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jakaihammuda
Helper III
Helper III

Azure Databricks Connector vs Partner Connect

Hello,

We are newly adopting Azure Datbricks as our platform for data.

Im researching and testing the best method of connection for furture PowerBI reports.

What im strugling to see a difference in, is between connecting to Clusters or an SQL Warehouse, through Partner Connect / Azure Databricks connector (manually in PBI)?

They both provide the correct connection details

Both support Import/Direct Query (we will typially only be using import)

I cannot see a significant difference as to why one would be used over the other? We do not need a gateway configured also for either.

Is anybody able to provide any of level of expertise as to why one is preferred over the other?

3 REPLIES 3
3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

Yeah, none of those posts are verified by someone from Microsoft.

Here is the team I would watch about databricks connectors
Advancing Spark - Power BI Databricks Connector with Native SQL (youtube.com)

3CloudThomas
Super User
Super User

I have seen both used and it seems to be the preference of the developer.
I would watch the monthly new features (Power BI Blog—Updates and News | Microsoft Power BI) for changes to either (updates). Also, watch out for Databrick blogs to find the direction Microsoft is trying to lead you to.

Connect Power BI to Databricks | Databricks on AWS
Connect Power BI to Azure Databricks - Azure Databricks | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your reply!

Yeah ill keep an eye out. doesnt really seem to be much out there which gives a clear definition as to why there are both options.

While I have you here @3CloudThomas , on the topic of Databricks with PowerBI. Is query folding no applicable when connceting to Azure Databricks?

Ive seen many people frustrated about it, only seen one post that provdes a "workaround" that failed to work for me....cant conlude if its something that can be enabled or not..

this was the post i saw Query Folding Azure Databricks (linkedin.com)

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.