Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cbschley
Helper III
Helper III

How can I create a dynamic filter based on a Parameter?

Hello,

I have a visual below that uses a Parameter in the Rows (BU), that is driven by the "Detail" parameter above it. User can change it to another item to change how they slice the data. 

My question is, how can I then create another filter that will populate with the items inside of that parameter selection? For example, in this case, how can I create a new filter that contains the BU items (1st screenshot), but then if the user changes the "Detail" parameter to "Package Group", it will then populate with those new items under Package Group?

ss 1: user selects "BU" from the Detail parameter

cbschley_0-1710792973552.png

ss 2: user selects "Package Group" from the Detail parameter

cbschley_1-1710793109966.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @cbschley 

Just to confirm, you want to add a slicer that contains the values of the field selected in the "Detail" slicer?

If so, make a copy of the existing Detail slicer, right-click the field in the new slicer's field well and select "Show values of the selected field". The new slicer will now contain the values of whichever field is selected on the first slicer.

OwenAuger_0-1710800342640.png

Regards

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi @cbschley 

Just to confirm, you want to add a slicer that contains the values of the field selected in the "Detail" slicer?

If so, make a copy of the existing Detail slicer, right-click the field in the new slicer's field well and select "Show values of the selected field". The new slicer will now contain the values of whichever field is selected on the first slicer.

OwenAuger_0-1710800342640.png

Regards

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Yes exactly! Thank you, I did not know this was a thing. I really appreciate your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors