Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"My Workspace" Management in Power BI Premium

Hello,

The company I work for recently purchased Power BI Premium after having been on the shared model for the past year or so.  I have been given the task of assigning Workspaces/Apps to that Premium capacity.  We do not want to assign everyone's "My Workspace" to Premium, mostly as a means of separating real production Power BI work from one-offs.  Instead we would prefer to notify the proper owners of those "My Workspace" to rename them before assigning them to Premium, using a more readily-identifiable naming convention, like "PRD-HR_Benefits" or "PRD-IS_HelpTickets".

I'm struggling to find any kind of workspace-owner (via GUID) relationship in the Power BI audit log.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to identify "My Workspace" owners?  BTW, I'm not a PowerShell script expert so any way it can be "dumbed-down" would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your input! 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous First, any content that is being shared to a wider audience in the company should be in a App Workspace (Group). These workspaces can have many owners, and nothing is locked to a single account access (My Workspace).

I would recommend moving any content in My Workspaces to App Workspaces for the above reason. You should be able to copy the content using the API's, that is the only method that i am aware of to accomplish this unless the original datesets/reports were created in Desktop files, then they could be re-deployed to the new workspace. But dashboards, etc, would need to be set up again.

APIs - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/duplicate-workspaces-using-the-power-bi-rest-apis-a-step-by-step-tutorial/

Long/Short: I would recommend you go through an excercise to not include any "My Workspace" content in premium, and have users move their content / or you move it, to a App Workspace.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@Anonymous First, any content that is being shared to a wider audience in the company should be in a App Workspace (Group). These workspaces can have many owners, and nothing is locked to a single account access (My Workspace).

I would recommend moving any content in My Workspaces to App Workspaces for the above reason. You should be able to copy the content using the API's, that is the only method that i am aware of to accomplish this unless the original datesets/reports were created in Desktop files, then they could be re-deployed to the new workspace. But dashboards, etc, would need to be set up again.

APIs - https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/duplicate-workspaces-using-the-power-bi-rest-apis-a-step-by-step-tutorial/

Long/Short: I would recommend you go through an excercise to not include any "My Workspace" content in premium, and have users move their content / or you move it, to a App Workspace.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors