Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

datakohai12
Frequent Visitor

Power Query Functionality to hide a field

Hello all, 

Can you guide how to hide a field in Microsoft Power Query? I see the remove field, though I do not see the hide field functionality. Background: I am attempting to create a custom column with two fields. One of the fields will be shown later in the query, while the other will not. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DennesTorres
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi,

I don't think you need to hide the field, in fact, "hiding field" would be something very strange for power query.

Power Query create a sequence of transformation actions. The later actions don't "break" previous actions.

In your case: You have two columns, you want to create a 3rd calculated column.

Go ahead, create it. The creation of the 3rd column will be one step on the transformation sequence. Later, remove the column you don't want, keep the other two. 

The removal of the column happens after the calculated column was created, so it doesn't affect in any way the calculated column.

However, if what you are looking for is an active formula, which will change the value according to the context of other columns, this shouldn't even be in Power Query, this is something done in the model, using a DAX measure.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
datakohai12
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thank you very much for the explanation, I will add this to my notes.

DennesTorres
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi,

I don't think you need to hide the field, in fact, "hiding field" would be something very strange for power query.

Power Query create a sequence of transformation actions. The later actions don't "break" previous actions.

In your case: You have two columns, you want to create a 3rd calculated column.

Go ahead, create it. The creation of the 3rd column will be one step on the transformation sequence. Later, remove the column you don't want, keep the other two. 

The removal of the column happens after the calculated column was created, so it doesn't affect in any way the calculated column.

However, if what you are looking for is an active formula, which will change the value according to the context of other columns, this shouldn't even be in Power Query, this is something done in the model, using a DAX measure.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors