Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Dinosauris
Frequent Visitor

JDBC connection to Fabric Warehouse Firewall issue

Greetings,

We have a client requirement to establish a connection that allows data retrieval from a Fabric warehouse to SAP. Our approach involves setting up a JDBC connection with the authorization of using a service principal. I’ve already conducted successful tests using a Power Automate Flow, which enabled me to read from and write to the Fabric warehouse.

The error message which we get at SAP side is the following:

Dinosauris_0-1708590487326.png

This are the configuration settings in SAP:

Dinosauris_1-1708590593713.png

Any troubleshoot ideas would be very much appreciated. Additionally, where can I set the firewall issues for Microsoft Fabric?

Thanks! 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Dinosauris
Frequent Visitor

We found in the meantime another solution which worked in our case of making an interface with the SAP environment. Unfortunately we could not make the JDBC connection work due to authentication issues.

What we did was using a Power Automate flow and getting the data via SQL query connector. Finally we send this data via HTTP connector to a HTTP endpoint which was provided by SAP. It is important to note that the two activities are premium connectors and thus require licensing. 

Below is a screenshot of the solution flow.

Dinosauris_0-1709879111032.png

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Dinosauris
Frequent Visitor

We found in the meantime another solution which worked in our case of making an interface with the SAP environment. Unfortunately we could not make the JDBC connection work due to authentication issues.

What we did was using a Power Automate flow and getting the data via SQL query connector. Finally we send this data via HTTP connector to a HTTP endpoint which was provided by SAP. It is important to note that the two activities are premium connectors and thus require licensing. 

Below is a screenshot of the solution flow.

Dinosauris_0-1709879111032.png

Hi @Dinosauris 

Glad that you found a workaround and thank you for sharing the details in the community as it can be helpful to others, much appreciated.

Please continue using Fabric Community for any help regarding your queries.

Thanks.

v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dinosauris 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

Apologies for the inconvenience that you are facing here.

As I understand that you want to establish a secure and automated way to retrieve data from a Fabric warehouse and bring it into SAP using a JDBC connection and service principal authorization.

Microsoft Microsoft Fabric also supports connectivity to the Warehouse or SQL analytics endpoint using a Java database connectivity (JDBC) driver.

When establishing connectivity via JDBC, check for the following dependencies:

For more details please refer to: Connect using JDBC

Troubleshooting steps for establishing a JDBC connection with service principal authorization:

Please refer to : Authentication to warehouses in Fabric.

Set new firewall rules on server running the gateway

I hope this information helps. Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks.

Thank you for the infos! And yes, this is correct.

I think the issue we are encountering might have been due to the authentification, in SAP you can only enter a username and password, but not have the option to select Microsoft Entra. Simply cenering the client id as user name and the secret in the passoword did not do the trick. Is there a work-around how we could achieve the connection? 

Hi @Dinosauris 

Apologies for the delay in response from my end. 

Currently there is no work around to achieve the connection because Microsoft EntraID is mandatory for a JDBC connection.

vcboorlamsft_0-1709556202785.png

I hope this helps. Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks.

Hi @Dinosauris 

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you have a resolution yet. In case if you have any resolution please do share that same with the community as it can be helpful to others.
Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.

Thanks.

Hi @Dinosauris 

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you have a resolution yet. In case if you have any resolution please do share that same with the community as it can be helpful to others.
If you have any question relating to the current thread, please do let us know and we will try out best to help you.
In case if you have any other question on a different issue, we request you to open a new thread.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Expanding the Synapse Forums

New forum boards available in Synapse

Ask questions in Data Engineering, Data Science, Data Warehouse and General Discussion.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayFBCUpdateCarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors