Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AB_34
Regular Visitor

Difference between Workspaces

Hello,

I am trying to create documentation for my team on the differences and limitations between: 

My workspace
Workspace (Pro)
Workspace (premium)

This document will be shared with the team and will be used as guidelines on the use of workspaces.

For example or things to note. File size limitations, refresh or scheduling limitations, etc

I am having trouble finding the documentation that specifically outlines the differeneces.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AB_34 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
1. Workspace Types and Permissions:

My Workspace (Free): Everyone with a Microsoft Fabric (Free) license has a personal My Workspace. It allows basic viewing and interacting with content shared by others. Users with a viewer role can access My Workspace content.

Workspace (Pro): Requires a Power BI Pro, Premium Per User (PPU) license, or a Power BI individual trial. This enables creating content, collaborating on reports, dashboards, and scorecards. Users can share content with others who have a viewer role on the workspace or a Pro/PPU license.

Workspace (Premium): Requires a Premium Per User (PPU) license or a Power BI individual trial. It offers all the features of Pro workspaces, additionally allowing collaboration using advanced Power BI Premium features like dataflows and datamarts.

2. Key Differences:

Content Creation:
My Workspace only allows less content. Pro and Premium workspaces allow creating reports, dashboards, and scorecards.

Collaboration: My Workspace has limited collaboration capabilities. Pro and Premium allow extensive collaboration features like sharing content and assigning roles.

Advanced Features: Pro and Premium workspaces unlock advanced Power BI features like dataflows and datamarts (Premium only).

For more information please refer to these links:

Sign up for Fabric and Power BI licensing for users in your organization. - Power BI | Microsoft Lea...
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/get-started/fabric-trial
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/enterprise/licenses
https://p3adaptive.com/is-microsoft-fabric-free-or-paid/
https://dataroots.io/blog/a-closer-look-at-microsoft-fabric-pricing-billing-and-autoscaling

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

View solution in original post

Hi @AB_34 
File Size Limitations:

• For a Pro workspace, the maximum Dataset size is 1GB.
  • For a PPU (Premium Per User) Workspace, the maximum Dataset size is 100GB.
  • For a Premium Capacity Workspace, the maximum size is 400GB.
  • Each user with a Power BI Pro license has a limit of 10GB, and each Premium capacity node has a limit of 100TB.

Refresh Limitations

• Power BI Pro license allows you to refresh your datasets up to 8 times per day.
  • Power BI Premium offers more frequent data refreshes, allowing you to refresh your datasets up to 48 times per day.
  • These limits apply to datasets set to the “Import” data connectivity mode.
  • For datasets that use other data connectivity modes such as “DirectQuery” or “Live Connection,” the concept of refreshes is different. In these modes, the data remains in the source system, and Power BI queries the data in real-time or near-real-time, so there is no need for scheduled data refreshes as in the “Import” mode.

Scheduling Limitations:

• Microsoft Fabric operates on two types of SKUs: Azure and Microsoft 365.
  • Microsoft 365 SKUs, also known as P SKUs, are Power BI SKUs that also support Fabric when it’s enabled on top of your Power BI subscription.

References:
Manage workspaces - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn
Solved: Model size and Maximum storage - Microsoft Fabric Community
Solved: Does daily refresh limits 8(pro) or 48 (ppu) only ... - Microsoft Fabric Community
Buy a Microsoft Fabric subscription - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AB_34 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
1. Workspace Types and Permissions:

My Workspace (Free): Everyone with a Microsoft Fabric (Free) license has a personal My Workspace. It allows basic viewing and interacting with content shared by others. Users with a viewer role can access My Workspace content.

Workspace (Pro): Requires a Power BI Pro, Premium Per User (PPU) license, or a Power BI individual trial. This enables creating content, collaborating on reports, dashboards, and scorecards. Users can share content with others who have a viewer role on the workspace or a Pro/PPU license.

Workspace (Premium): Requires a Premium Per User (PPU) license or a Power BI individual trial. It offers all the features of Pro workspaces, additionally allowing collaboration using advanced Power BI Premium features like dataflows and datamarts.

2. Key Differences:

Content Creation:
My Workspace only allows less content. Pro and Premium workspaces allow creating reports, dashboards, and scorecards.

Collaboration: My Workspace has limited collaboration capabilities. Pro and Premium allow extensive collaboration features like sharing content and assigning roles.

Advanced Features: Pro and Premium workspaces unlock advanced Power BI features like dataflows and datamarts (Premium only).

For more information please refer to these links:

Sign up for Fabric and Power BI licensing for users in your organization. - Power BI | Microsoft Lea...
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/get-started/fabric-trial
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/enterprise/licenses
https://p3adaptive.com/is-microsoft-fabric-free-or-paid/
https://dataroots.io/blog/a-closer-look-at-microsoft-fabric-pricing-billing-and-autoscaling

Hi @AB_34 
We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query got resolved. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.
Thanks

Hi @AB_34 
We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query got resolved. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help.
Thanks

Hello, thanks for taking the time with my question. I am still trying to understand the differences to a more detailed level. For example what would the file size limitations be for each membership, what are the refresh limitaions between each tier, are there any scheduling limitations? I am trying to create a single document that my team can reference to on the detailed differences between the subscriptions 

Hi @AB_34 
File Size Limitations:

• For a Pro workspace, the maximum Dataset size is 1GB.
  • For a PPU (Premium Per User) Workspace, the maximum Dataset size is 100GB.
  • For a Premium Capacity Workspace, the maximum size is 400GB.
  • Each user with a Power BI Pro license has a limit of 10GB, and each Premium capacity node has a limit of 100TB.

Refresh Limitations

• Power BI Pro license allows you to refresh your datasets up to 8 times per day.
  • Power BI Premium offers more frequent data refreshes, allowing you to refresh your datasets up to 48 times per day.
  • These limits apply to datasets set to the “Import” data connectivity mode.
  • For datasets that use other data connectivity modes such as “DirectQuery” or “Live Connection,” the concept of refreshes is different. In these modes, the data remains in the source system, and Power BI queries the data in real-time or near-real-time, so there is no need for scheduled data refreshes as in the “Import” mode.

Scheduling Limitations:

• Microsoft Fabric operates on two types of SKUs: Azure and Microsoft 365.
  • Microsoft 365 SKUs, also known as P SKUs, are Power BI SKUs that also support Fabric when it’s enabled on top of your Power BI subscription.

References:
Manage workspaces - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn
Solved: Model size and Maximum storage - Microsoft Fabric Community
Solved: Does daily refresh limits 8(pro) or 48 (ppu) only ... - Microsoft Fabric Community
Buy a Microsoft Fabric subscription - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Hi @AB_34 
Glad that your query got resolved. Please continue using Fabric Community for any help regarding your queries.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Top Kudoed Authors