Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MOVC
Helper II
Helper II

Dataflow Gen2 Failure: Couldn't refresh the entity, transport-level error

This morning one of our Gen2 Dataflows began failing. It takes data from our On Prem SQL Server via the Data Gateway and creates a new table in a Warehouse with the replace method. The error message is as follows:

1.png

2.png

We have had no issues with since it was created about a month ago and there have been no changes to our network, On Prem environment or the source data. Our Gateway is on the previous version which I will update tonight out of work hours to check, but this has not impacted our other Fabric methods and seems unlikely to be the cause seeing as it worked as recently as yesterday.

3.png

Any help would be appreciated, but this is not the first time something we've created in Fabric has failed out of the blue and it is becoming difficult to suggest it as a solution with the inconsistency.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have tried deleting and recreating the Warehouse as other users had suggested but this has not worked.

11 REPLIES 11
alfBI
Helper III
Helper III

Hi,

We are suffering what seems to be same issue. Our DF2 moving data from on-Premise to a Fabric Warehouse started to fail after having ran for several weeks

alfBI_0-1708355333913.png

Error message is shown below

alfBI_1-1708355445411.png

We are on lastest version of On-Premise Gateway ad as said, DF2 was working perfectly until last week when it suddenly start to fail.

Regards

Alfons

Unfortunately we were unable to discover the root cause of this issue, but the problem went away after moving from the previous gateway version to the current one (despite the old gateway being able to do the load in a fresh Workspace). 

If your gateway is up to date all I can say is to recreate your dataflow and destination in a fresh workspace and hope for the best.

Thx, we thought we were on latest version but it was not the case. After installing latest one works again. As you said a complete mistery why something running after months started to fail.......

v-cboorla-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MOVC 

Thanks for using Microsoft Fabric Community.

Apologies for the inconvenience that you are facing here.

When using Microsoft Fabric Dataflow Gen2 with an on-premises data gateway, you might encounter issues with the dataflow refresh process. The underlying problem occurs when the gateway is unable to connect to the dataflow staging Lakehouse in order to read the data before copying it to the desired data destination. This issue can occur regardless of the type of data destination being used.

To troubleshoot the issue kindly refer to the documentation for details.

I hope this informatoin helps. Please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Thanks.

Thank you for the reply, but I am able to create new gen 2 dataflows copying data via the gateway to warehouse in new workspaces without issue so I don't believe that this is the problem.

Further testing:

If I create a new Warehouse and a new Dataflow gen2 in the same workspace as the original version, then I get the same error message. However if I use a brand new workspace with the same dataflow query and a new warehouse then it works. 

Could there be an issue with the Staging Lakehouse in that Workspace?

miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi

Please go ahead and raise a support ticket so an engineer can take a closer look at this situation.

https://support.fabric.microsoft.com/support

If you've isolated the issue to a particular workspace, then this would require an investigation by our support ticket.

I have created the ticket.

Hi @MOVC 

Apologies for the delay in the response from my end.

We appreciate your initiative in raising a support ticket. Could you kindly share the ticket number with us for our reference and tracking purposes.

Thanks

It was TrackingID#2402130050003994

Updating the gateway fixed the issue for that workspace but we were unable to figure out what the actual cause was, as the previous version of the gateway was able to perform the same activities in a different workspace. 

As we can continue working this is resolved but frustrating to have these issues keep occurring (and not knowing the cause).

Seeing this thread just now, we are also having problems with Gen2 flows using an On-Prem Gateway since last week. Downgrading to the Gateway September 2023 version has resolved the situation for us for the moment. I hope MFST escalates this topic and a hotfix can be delivered asap.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.