Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AlanZ
Helper I
Helper I

Can't See Why Dataflow Fails to Publish

Hello,

I have a Dataflow Gen2 failing to publish. I can click the "Publish" button in the bottom right, which works and takes me back to the Workspace page. On the workspace page, I can see the loading-circle working on publishing. It then gives me a failure symbol.

It is not failing to refresh-- refreshes actually work; it just fails to publish the changes I've made.

There's a red exclamation point error (in the publishing spot, not in the refreshing spot), but when I try to hover over it, this disappears and is replaced by the refresh / schedule refresh / etc. buttons. I'm not able to figure out any way to actually see the content of the error which should reveal why the dataflow cannot publish.

How it looks after publishing: 

AlanZ_0-1708973408364.png

How it looks after I hold my mouse over the error:

AlanZ_1-1708973496752.png

Any ideas how I can see what the actual error is, preventing the dataflow from publishing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ah I see what the problem is, the columns already have min-width on them, so in theory they should accomodate the display of the ! sign. However, since your DF has long-ish names, the name field took over the space and pushed the ! to the right far enough that it gets painted over by hover buttons...

pqian_MSFT_0-1709145535881.png

There is no workaround for this other than editing the DF and shorten the name for now. The UI team will need to fix this.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
pqian_MSFT
Employee
Employee

@AlanZ - can you click on the triangle ! sign, that should pop up a dialog with more error details

Thanks, @pqian_MSFT . I was trying to explain above that I actually can't! When I move my mouse over the triangle ! sign, it's replaced by other options. I can't find any way to actually see what the error is.

I'm glad to message you a video if you that isn't clear. Not sure I want to make a video publicly visible in case there's any sensitive information I miss.

As soon as I move my mouse to hover over the triangle !, it's replaced with the refresh options.

How it looks after publishing: 

AlanZ_0-1709070756261.png

How it looks after I hold my mouse over the error:

AlanZ_1-1709070756269.png

The hover menu is paving over the ! sign, you can press (ctrl -) to zoom out enough so you give the ! enough real estate to paint again.

@pqian_MSFT , thanks very much. Glad you'll speak with the UI team.

Zooming is a great idea but doesn't actually let me hover over it-- unfortunately everything remains proportionate in the column so I still can't hover it without the triangle being covered up, even at 25% zoom!

I tried making the column wider, but at both 100% and 25% zoom, there's a max column width. I feel like, if there weren't a max cap on the column width when I manually resize it, it'd work.

So afraid I still can't see the hover message / error. 

Ah I see what the problem is, the columns already have min-width on them, so in theory they should accomodate the display of the ! sign. However, since your DF has long-ish names, the name field took over the space and pushed the ! to the right far enough that it gets painted over by hover buttons...

pqian_MSFT_0-1709145535881.png

There is no workaround for this other than editing the DF and shorten the name for now. The UI team will need to fix this.

Thank you-- I think you understand the issue perfectly! It's not a problem to temporarily rename the DF to a short name and then reset it once I view the error-- this seems to work. Thanks for brining it up with the UI team. Let me know if there's anything I need to do to make sure they see the issue.

Yes, they understand the issue. Thanks for reporting this bug.

Also I'll talk to the UI team to make sure the ! sign take painting precedence than the hover menu

v-nikhilan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AlanZ 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
At this time, we are reaching out to the internal team to get some help on this. We will update you once we hear back from them.
Thanks

Thanks for your help, @v-nikhilan-msft ; let me know if they have any questions I can answer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024 FBC Gallery Image

Fabric Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.