Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

swaruss
Frequent Visitor

Copy Data from SQL Server only available with Basic authentication

If I try to do a Copy Task from SQL server (via on prem data gateway) in a Pipeline, I only have the option of basic authentication. All our SQL Servers use Windows authentication. Why would this not be available as an authentication option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Vitaly, that's what I thought - but the OP seemed to suggest otherwise. Appreciate the clarification.

One bit of feedback on the documentation you linked - it's completely written from a "the user knows Azure Data Factory" standpoint. If one of the goals of Fabric is to introduce it to people that haven't used ADF yet (like me), it's very difficult to understand that Self-hosted integration runtimes is still in progress of design means "you can't do a copy activity between on-prem and Fabric". IMO it would be a good idea to go back through that document and rewrite from a "person doesn't know Azure Data Factory, but still needs to know this functionality doesn't work" standpoint

Thanks!

Scott

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Scott_Powell
Advocate III
Advocate III

@swaruss - is there anything you can do to post a screenshot of how you added a Copy Task using an on-prem gateway? I've been trying to do this (for weeks now), but I'm completely unable to get my gateways to show up.

Here's a screenshot of what I see. I'm choosing "external" - but then it asks for a connection. This dialog never shows all of our existing gateway connections. It takes me to a screen where I have to build a new connection - and these don't appear to be using a gateway, they seem to be trying to connect directly to the database (which is impossible because our databases aren't open to the world).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'd LOVE to use the copy data task with a gateway server, but no clue on how to get this working.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Scott_Powell_0-1687707684039.png

@Scott_PowellThe scenario you are describing is unsupported in Fabric. The Self-hosted IR / Data Gateway that's needed for Fabric pipelines to connect to on-prem data sources is not available in yet.

Please reference the official confirmation at Differences between Data Factory in Fabric and Azure - Microsoft Fabric | Microsoft Learn

Thanks Vitaly, that's what I thought - but the OP seemed to suggest otherwise. Appreciate the clarification.

One bit of feedback on the documentation you linked - it's completely written from a "the user knows Azure Data Factory" standpoint. If one of the goals of Fabric is to introduce it to people that haven't used ADF yet (like me), it's very difficult to understand that Self-hosted integration runtimes is still in progress of design means "you can't do a copy activity between on-prem and Fabric". IMO it would be a good idea to go back through that document and rewrite from a "person doesn't know Azure Data Factory, but still needs to know this functionality doesn't work" standpoint

Thanks!

Scott

Thanks, yes I have never used ADF before and starting with Fabric was my way in, There are a lot of things which don't work for me in Fabric, but which for instance work in Power BI data flows, which is frustrating, because I expected a lot of things to be the same. Documentation from a perspective of someone new to Fabric and Azure would be massively more helpful.

Yes, agreed. The Fabric documentation is currently rather sparse. I am just a customer like you ... hopefully someone from Microsoft's documentation team is listening 😀

Thank you @vitaly and @ScottPowellECU  for the feedback.

We are definitely listening.
Will improve the docs, so it makes it easier for folks to get started.

Sounds great - thank you @weehyong !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.