Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

use filters with apps

I'm exploring the Apps model in PowerBI as I understand it will become the method for distributing dashboards and reports. I'd like to set a series of apps up and connect them to a single instance of a report (rather than creating clones of the reports for specific apps as that seems wasteful).

I'd like to set the link used in the app to pass a groupid as a report filter. That way I can create a handful of apps each using a common report but providing a different filtered view. I can then use the Apps model to restrict permissions to the visibility of report data.

I've seen in the PowerBI community that Row Level Security could be an approach.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Need-to-filter-Dashboard-for-25-different-Departments/m-p/38...

Question is what is best?

Has anyone in the community set something like this up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@buildbod If the whole reason for your idea is to manage the filter context for different groups of people on the same report, then I would highly recommend that you go with Row Level Security.

You could create 1 report and have 1 shared app that contains the report shared with all the people...

The idea that you outline is not currently possible, which is another reason to go with a proven and supported feature like RLS.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@buildbod If the whole reason for your idea is to manage the filter context for different groups of people on the same report, then I would highly recommend that you go with Row Level Security.

You could create 1 report and have 1 shared app that contains the report shared with all the people...

The idea that you outline is not currently possible, which is another reason to go with a proven and supported feature like RLS.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you I'll try RLS then

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors