Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TK12345
Resolver I
Resolver I

read-only and cannot be pinned (test workspace)

Hi all,

I have the following issue, I have a Development workspace, with my 5 semantic models and 5 reports. I made a Dashboard with the main KPI's from those 5 semantic models / reports. So I pinned these KPI's to the dashboard, I made an app of these 5 reports and 1 dashboard and all works fine. 

The next thing I would like, is to do exactly the same for my test workspace, but.... my test workspace only contains reports, conneted to the semantic model in my development workspace, so just reports. When I would like to make a dashboard with the KPI tiles from these 5 reports, and I would like to pin these, I get the following message: "read-only and cannot be pinned".

So my first thought is, because of that the semantic model is in the develop workpace, it is not possible. But why, and is there another way. Cause there needs to be more people with just reports who would like to make a dashboard of these reports. 

So is there another way, to make a dashboard with tiles, based on just visuals of my reports in the test workspace??? Who could help me out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TK12345 ,

How are the reports created in your test workspace? Please provide relevant screenshots and describe them.
In my testing, after copying the report to a test workspace, the report is also based on the same semantic model, but is able to use the pin function properly.

vkongfanfmsft_0-1707358938953.pngvkongfanfmsft_1-1707358974702.png

vkongfanfmsft_2-1707358998659.png

However, you need to make sure that you have Edit or Administrator permissions in the test workspace. If you do not have the necessary permissions, you will not be able to pin visual objects to the new dashboard. For the following test I added the admin account to the workspace and set it to VIEWER permissions, then for this user it will report an error when it wants to pin.

vkongfanfmsft_0-1707359937486.png

vkongfanfmsft_2-1707360445933.png

For more details, you can read below document:

Workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-kongfanf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TK12345 ,

How are the reports created in your test workspace? Please provide relevant screenshots and describe them.
In my testing, after copying the report to a test workspace, the report is also based on the same semantic model, but is able to use the pin function properly.

vkongfanfmsft_0-1707358938953.pngvkongfanfmsft_1-1707358974702.png

vkongfanfmsft_2-1707358998659.png

However, you need to make sure that you have Edit or Administrator permissions in the test workspace. If you do not have the necessary permissions, you will not be able to pin visual objects to the new dashboard. For the following test I added the admin account to the workspace and set it to VIEWER permissions, then for this user it will report an error when it wants to pin.

vkongfanfmsft_0-1707359937486.png

vkongfanfmsft_2-1707360445933.png

For more details, you can read below document:

Workspaces in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,
Adamk Kong

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors