Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II
Advocate II

"Couldn't load the data for this visual" error for end users

Hi there, just wondering if someone else has run into this error here:

So my end users are complaining that they intermittedly see error messages on various reports saying:

"Couldn't load the data for this visual"
"The operation was cancelled by the user" 

I myself haven't seen this error (but I dont use the reports as much as they do), but they do, intermittendly. So sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not.

I have contacted MS, but their suggestions (bad connectivity, bad credentials, too much data load) don't make sense. My data in a powerBI semantic model in the service, so all authentication is done with MS. The data load COULD be a factor, but the visuals it fails on load in 2,7 seconds for me, so I find that really hard to believe.

Some info: 
Thin report file connected to a semantic model in the service.
RLS is active, but the RLS filter is extremely simple. Adding the filter manually doesnt impact query load time at all.
Semantic Model file connects to Postgres in AWS Aurora.

Any help is appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @jaap_olsthoorn 

You should know that when the workspace is not in Premium capacity then it is in a Shared capacity. The loading problem of data could be from bad connectivity, too much data load at the same time and could also be from bad performance of the report like a bad DAX formula used or too many visuals in a page of the report, or a visual that contains many fields from many tables... 

Sometimes it is advised to go premium to solve the issue however i would recommend that you optimize your semantic model and your Thin reports before taking that option.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Hey AJ,

The returned data is 5 columns, 1 row. 1 data retrieving visual on the page, the rest are filters. The query takes 2.7 seconds in performance analyzer. Still think performance can be the issue? To me that does not make any sense.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors