Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

db042190
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

is my peer's semantic model live or embedded

hi i'm looking at my peer's report already published.  For some reason there is no download option on the semantic model no matter where i look including "file" which is smetimes where i find it when its not in the semantic model's ellipsis dropdown.  but i can see a download option on the report.  and if i go that route i am presented with an option of downloading with the data embedded or live.  he originally shared the pbix with me thru email.  and when i open it and hit transform dont see anything more than server and db.  

as the report and semantic model stand right now, how can i tell if its built as direct query or embedded.  might it be true that since i can see a refresh option and frequency , that it must not be live?  is there any other way to tell? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @db042190 

I would suggest asking your peer to resend you the PBIX to let you know that this is the free working version that is published to the power BI service. It appears that the report is connecting to the semantic model by a live connection and that is why it is giving you that option when you download. And finally the reason why you might not see the download option for the semantic model is if it's been edited via the XMLA End Point or if there is incremental refresh happening just for cause the semantic model should not be able to be downloaded.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @db042190 

I would suggest asking your peer to resend you the PBIX to let you know that this is the free working version that is published to the power BI service. It appears that the report is connecting to the semantic model by a live connection and that is why it is giving you that option when you download. And finally the reason why you might not see the download option for the semantic model is if it's been edited via the XMLA End Point or if there is incremental refresh happening just for cause the semantic model should not be able to be downloaded.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors