Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

cant set up scheduled refresh correctly

Hi all,

i have a Power BI report that i built on desktop app with no connection issues. im using a service account to connect to a sharepoint file and a SQL DB, both are connecting fine when reviewed manually.

I have published the report to a workspace and i now want to set up a scheduled refresh. 

however im getting an error in the data source credentials section for both of my connections saying its failed to connect.

when i hit "edit credentails" and try to put them in manually and hit "sign in" the circle just keeps going around and nothing happens:

Marko64_0-1661769011694.png

however whats confusing is if i go into my datahub and manually refesh the dataset, it works?

Marko64_1-1661769085857.png

why wont it allow me to set up a scheduled refresh? 

any inf owould be greatly appreciated

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Anonymous ,

you can configure a data source with your gateway using a service account both for your

• database and
  • your SharePoint access

I often use the gateway to access sources hosted on SharePoint online, either a SharePoint list or files. The reason for this, it can be difficult to enter credentials for the SharePoint sources using the WebCredentials on the Schedule refresh page of the dataset.

If you are using a service account for SharePoint you have to be aware that this account also needs permissions to access the sources and also has to have a SharePoint license assigned.

Hopefully, this provides some ideas on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

if your SQL Server DB is on-premises you need to install a gateway: Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs

After you have installed and configured the gateway, you have to re-enter your credentials for the SharePoint data source - see the section web credentials.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks @TomMartens . you were right, once i set up on prem gateway on my PC and used my personal account, then it worked.

however, it still giving me the error message when i try to use the service account credentials to log in? 

is the only way around this to log into the service account on Power BI service and set up the gateway that way? 

would it still be linked to my own PC? 

thanks.

Hey @Anonymous ,

you can configure a data source with your gateway using a service account both for your

• database and
  • your SharePoint access

I often use the gateway to access sources hosted on SharePoint online, either a SharePoint list or files. The reason for this, it can be difficult to enter credentials for the SharePoint sources using the WebCredentials on the Schedule refresh page of the dataset.

If you are using a service account for SharePoint you have to be aware that this account also needs permissions to access the sources and also has to have a SharePoint license assigned.

Hopefully, this provides some ideas on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,
Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors