Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RhysGoodwin
Frequent Visitor

Workspace for All Users

I'd like to create a workspace that will be accessible to all Power BI Pro users. Does that mean I have to manually add them to a specific group every time I add a new user? Or is there a concept of an 'All Users' group?

If Power BI supported groups that are synchronised with on-premises AD things would be much easier from a management point of view. grrrrr....

4 REPLIES 4
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@RhysGoodwin

You can add your Pro users into a O365 Group, then add this O365 Group as member of the Group workspace. See a similar thread below:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/How-can-i-add-existing-o365-groups-to-power-bi/td-p/74426

Currently it's not possbile the sync on-premise AD in Power BI, you can only add Email address from Outlook.

Reference:
Create a group to collaborate in Power BI
Create an Office 365 group in the admin center
Manage your group in Power BI and Office 365

Regards,

Thanks Simon. I understand how to use groups. The issue, as you you pointed out, is that only email addresses can be added to office 365 unified groups, there is no possibility to nest groups within groups. This creates an management overhead because a hierarchical strucutre can't be created. Is the use of AD sync'd groups on the roadmap?

Cheeers,

Rhys

Before answering about our roadmap, I would like to understand the specific scenario here..

You say that you would like to give access to all Power BI users....

Do you want all of those users to be able to edit the content? Or do you want them to have read only access to your content? 

Senior Program Manager,
Power BI, Microsoft.

Hi Ajay,

We'd like to have a group "Whole Company" which all users have read-only access to. Typically in a Windows environment we'd use a group like "Domain Users". This isn't possible within Power Bi workspace groups because nesting is not possible.  I hope that makes sense?

Cheers,

Rhys

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors