Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

azshaari_dev
Regular Visitor

Users unable to access shared report - with proper licensing

Hi everyone!

First off, i tried finding this issue in the backlog here, but couldnt find anything pertaining to Embedded instances of PowerBI.

So, we have a small BI team, developing reports with PRO licences. They can share.

Our reports are deployed in workspaces configured as Embedded licensing mode, since our Service is directly managed by our Azure Cloud.

We have a small A2-type VM, which, as far as I understand, falls under A-series licensing rules:

In "Embedded" workspaces, free users can view and access ONLY reports shared by Pro users (and those in their personal workspaces, of course)

We had success implementing this service and our users can actually load reports correctly. Until they cant.

Seemingly at random, users that try to access their reports (from  app.powerbi.com/browse/shared) and get an error message that reads "To use powerbi pro features, upgrade to a pro license .... ", when, a few minutes back, they might have been able to load the very same report.

I raised a ticket through Azure support, but all they told me was to clear browser cache. I have a suspicion this might have to do with users having multiple microsoft sessions active in the same browser, since the issue vanished once you login in an incognito window.

Anyone else had something like this happen before? Is this documented?

I havent been able to find anything specific to a-series SKUs about this issue.

At any rate, have a great day, guys! Thanks in advance 🙂

1 REPLY 1
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @azshaari_dev ,

So the situation currently  you are experiencing is that, users can access the shared report from pro user while sometime they will meet error, but the error will diasppear after a few minutes?

what are your users' license? free user or pro user?

I noticed that the doc mentions as the following shows:

vmengzhumsft_0-1661753416539.png

Purchase Power BI Premium for testing - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If you can make sure the users in your organization all have pro license, may be this error will not occur.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors