Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Jame5_Blonde2
Helper I
Helper I

User doesn´t have a pro license when accessing external report? (internal OK!)

Hi, 

I have a external user that doesn´t have a pro license BUT ONLY when accessing external report? 

When reading internal reports/app the same account/e-mail adress has a "PRO" license?

• The account/email is an external guest Azure B2B user that has "accepted". 
  • I have shared the dataset (write) + is security member + member/shared within APP. 
  • The user/account have been able to open the app/report fine until a couple of days back, unclear how long time. 

The thing that´s perculiar is if you see the users screenshot, explained below. 

1. url with internal report - notice circled "Pro"

2. url with external report (my report) - notice circled "Free Account"

Wot.png

It´s the exact same account/email, please advice

3 REPLIES 3
bk-rs21

Does anybody else have any insight into this? We are having the same problem and even though a user from an external tenancy has a Power BI Pro license, when they try to access a report on our tenancy that they have been given access to (from a Guest account associated with our tenancy), they are shown as having a trial Power BI Pro license instead of it bringing their own license from their tenancy along with them.

@v-jialongy-msft's post specifically states that:

Assigned Pro Licenses: If the content is not in a Premium workspace, external users need to have a Pro license to access Pro content. This license can be assigned by their home organization or the sharing organization.

Is there something that needs to be done for the external user to login to the shared report with their home tenancy PRO license intact? 

@Jame5_Blonde2 did you ever get an answer to this question? I can't find help anywhere.

v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jame5_Blonde2 

Here are a few ways you can troubleshoot the problem.

1. License Assignment for External Users: When an external user is accessing content shared with them from another organization, their ability to access Pro content depends on how the sharing organization has set up licensing for external users. There are a few approaches to this:

• Power BI Premium: If the content is hosted in a workspace that's assigned to Power BI Premium capacity, external users can access the content without needing a Pro license. This is because Power BI Premium allows for sharing with free users within and outside the organization.
    • Assigned Pro Licenses: If the content is not in a Premium workspace, external users need to have a Pro license to access Pro content. This license can be assigned by their home organization or the sharing organization.

2. License Status in Different Contexts: The discrepancy in license status ("Pro" vs. "Free Account") when accessing internal vs. external reports could be due to the context in which the license is evaluated. For instance, when accessing internal content, the user's Pro license from their home organization is recognized. However, when accessing external content, if the sharing organization hasn't assigned a Pro license to the guest user or doesn't have the content in a Premium workspace, the user might be seen as having a "Free Account."

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regarding solution number 2 (we are not on premium capacity) 

Isn´t the whole point sharing cross B2B to preserve licenses between organizations not needing duplicates?

The user clearly have a PRO license and should be able to access PRO shared content!

Why should we even care to distribute in this way otherwise?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors